Interlude Wedding preparations

Elizabeth's POV

Outside, dusk had overcome the hated sun, and the uncut moon was rising. In the dark, the ferryman felt the ground beneath the skiff with his pike; he didn't need to see the brightly lit tower to know exactly where he needed to go. Behind him, a cord was let out to guide the boats behind him to the Defiance. There was a ring of light around the docks, and the ferryman left the tiny armada behind to lurk in the shadows. This was the most dangerous moment.

Elizabeth and a couple of the bravest hid under canvas.

"What brings you?" the lookout shouted.

"You know, last-minute things for the kitchen. One of the cooks is running around the city grabbing every last carrot. You know how it is?" Renee said casually.

The lookout let the chain down.

"Quite," Renee said as he approached one of the guards who threw a rope to Renee.

"They are all gathering in the temple. The feast maidens are shitting themselves. I'm out here as usual," the guard said.

John Renne looked back to the shore. He pointed his thin hand at the pole where the light was hung to summon him.

"Can you see a light? Does the cook want me back already?" John Renne said.

The heads turned to look, and in that brief moment, the skiff struck the wharf, and in a flash, throats were cut. Suddenly, Elizabeth was on the other side of the dock, looking slightly out of breath, all the wharf men now falling bleeding to the floor. Before the lookout could say anything, she was behind him, cutting his throat. John Renne looked up to the lookout's position, slightly in horror.

"Nothing is quicker than death," she said, looking deeply into John Renne's eyes.

"I'll signal the others, mistress," Renne said.