Interlude: The crows and the black keep

From the skiff, Elizabeth looked up at the black keep. The last time she had arrived there, a bag was over her head. She had been terrified, a young lost girl. Now, now she wasn't sure what she was anymore.

"Stay low," said John Renee.

They had spent the afternoon using the distraction of the vampire orgy to move men to empty buildings closer to the keep. The more water they could cover during the day, the less they would have to navigate at night. This would give them greater tactical surprise while requiring them to hide during the day. John Renee expertly guided his small boat, allowing some of the defiance boats to follow him over the jagged wrecks below. Elizabeth was hiding under a tarpaulin at the front of the boat. The sunlight burnt her skin. Behind, at a casual distance, a couple of fishing boats followed, stuffed with fretting soldiers. As they had expected, the boats from the other covens were arriving, each carrying stone sarcophagi housing the sleeping vampire visitors.

Everybody was cautious; guards on both sides were vigilant. The vampires never trusted each other, even under the kinds of strict truce that covered such events.

Everyone was in hiding. This was the largest army the Defiance and the local revolutionaries could gather. Everyone was going, knowing it was possibly to their doom. Everyone was willing to die, except possibly Elizabeth - she was dead. She just wanted an ending. The plan was to attack at midnight, the hour that the vampire is most trusted was their hour, the hour of the wedding.

Elizabeth looked up and watched the crows circle the tower. This was it.