Chapter 19/ Electra in the Sin's Edge

Victoria's POV

In the wake of nightfall, my visits with Mary to the Night Market continued. Perhaps because I anticipated seeing the Duke again, I found myself eager to return.

Mary took me to a place where you could relax and sample a number of brews and elixirs. It was a place where I could hear people speaking the shadow tongue naturally and improve my mastery of it. Vampiric writing above the door said the place was called The Sin's Edge.

With its rich red or ebony décor, elaborate chandeliers, and antique furnishings, the dimly illuminated room exuded sophistication and luxury.

The patrons, mostly vampires and their associates, exuded an aura of otherworldly allure. Their attire was a blend of Gothic and Victorian styles, with intricate lace, velvet, and silk garments that accentuated their timeless beauty. Some smoked in a variety of ways, with a spectrum of new smells arising from their suffocating smoke. Most had a glass or cup before them, and I was unsure sometimes if it was wine or blood. Some had droppers for venom on dishes before them, while others had different ornate instruments of pleasure.

Familiars carried plates of food, occasionally including a live chicken. I noticed a couple of familiars with resigned faces, looking down at the ground. They were chained, waiting their turn to be fed on. Their clothing was clearly designed to expose their necks but hide the other marks of feeding. It was early, just after sunset, and most would have to wait further into the night to be drained.

The Sin's Edge was alive with soft whispers and hushed conversations, punctuated by the occasional burst of haunting laughter. The patrons spoke in archaic, poetic language, sitting around tables lit with candlelight, discussing topics ranging from dark philosophy to arcane secrets. There was an undercurrent of danger in the air, as beneath the veneer of sophistication, I knew these beings were relentless predators.

I drank small beer* and smelled the strong aroma given off by the dark brown, almost muddy brew Mary had. Mary tried to convince me that the brew she took was entirely non-toxic. She also promised there were a number of teas from which I would feel no ill effects, but I resisted.

We sat on spindly chairs around a small, round table. Mary had been testing my vocabulary of everyday objects, and she had yet to catch me out.

"Good morning," a woman's voice behind me said in the black tongue.

I looked up to see Electra standing above us. She wore a smart leather jacket over her dress.

She smiled as she entered, her eyes immediately drawn to the books and scrolls on the table.

"It's true that you have been studying our language," she stated.

"It has been a diverting education," I said in the shadow tongue, welcoming the chance to practice.

This brought another smile of delight. "And how much you have learned," Electra said. "What a delight. I wanted to apologize for our first words. You weren't to know this, but my then-lover and I had an argument, and I was in no mood for good company. I was surprised and behaved like a complete kurdur [bitch]. I know my brother feels you are important too, and I just wanted to say I wish you well. You may not return it, as is your right, but know there is no hatred coming from my side."

I was taken aback, and the prospect of knowing more about how the Duke felt intrigued me.

"I understand. Please sit down," I continued politely. "Would you care for some wine, or we could share some venom?"

"That is very kind," Electra said as she took a spindly metal seat. Two male familiars, half-naked, showing their chests had been flanking her and moved off to stand curiously nearby, one of them holding a bandage to his neck.