Prologue

Brace yourself. This is long af.

Jaylen Barron as Veda

Aldis Hodge as Advik Hill

(3rd P.O.V.)

"Juniper, where are you?"

A poorly muffled squeal of excitement sounds from under the bed, and the dark-skinned woman chuckles at the realization of her 4-year-old daughter's hiding spot. She creeps towards the young girl, smiling fondly at the sound of the child's feet tapping, obviously kicking in excitement and hitting the hardwood floor.

"I found you!" In one swift movement the woman rips the sheets up and pulls her daughter out from under the bed, earning a sharp scream from the girl.

"Mommy!" The girl, Juniper, giggles as she rolls over and stands up. "You were cheating!"

"How could I possibly have been cheating?" The mother chuckles.

"I dunno, you just were!"

"Come on." The mother gestures towards the door leading out of the room. "Mommy's gotta start dinner. Wanna keep me company?"

"Okay!" The girl chirps. She turns and grabs a coil of metal from her night stand before following her mother to the kitchen.

"What are you making this time?"

"I'm making a birdy!" Juniper proudly announces, beginning to uncoil the metal with nothing but her bare hands, watching intently as the solid wire turns red and softens for her to pull it straight.

"I thought you made a birdy yesterday?" The mother asks as she lights the fire for the stove and begins pulling ingredients out of cabinets.

"No, silly Mommy, I made a bunny yesterday!"