9: 𝐈 𝐋𝗼𝐯𝐞 𝐘𝗼𝐮 𝐭𝗼 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐌𝗼𝗼𝐧 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐁𝐚𝐜𝐤

August 15, 2030

After receiving the news that Bennett was eligible and accepted into the CED trial was exciting for the parents. It was also very nerve racking, but the parents knew this would potentially be very beneficial for their daughter, which was their goal throughout her treatments.

Tim and Lucy knew that the trip would be exciting for Bennett, but the trial would be less than ideal. They also knew that it would make Bennett sad when she realized that she would have to leave her beloved dogs back home in Los Angeles, until they returned. They had been told that they could be in the trial from anywhere from one week to two months, it all just depended on how they could do the procedure, and how Bennett would react afterwards.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I feel like we're packing too much," Lucy said, as she and Tim had begun packing their bags. "It'll be okay, honey. If we take more than we need, then that's fine. Sometimes, it's better to have too much than not enough, especially with a five year old." Tim said, and let out a chuckle. Lucy nodded in agreement, "Yeah, actually, you're totally right. The more the better, and we don't have to use it all, anyway" she said.

Once they had packed a decent amount of their own things, Lucy headed to Bennett's room to begin packing her bag. There, she found their five year old once again playing with both of the dogs. This time, though, Max had managed to not be stuck in a game of dress up.

"Hey, Bennie, Daddy and I are gonna start packing you some clothes to take to New York, okay?" Lucy informed her young daughter. "Why don't you start picking out some toys and books to take with you? You'll need some for the plane ride and for while we're there" she told her, as Bennett nodded. "I will, Mommy! I'll pick the best ones!" She said, "Can I take some so you and Daddy can play with me too?" Bennett asked, as Lucy nodded, "Of course you can, baby girl. Daddy and I will play whatever you want, okay? You get to pick, and we'll play it!" Lucy said, as Bennett smiled happily, before clapping her hands together. "Yay!" The little girl shrieked, as Tim had entered her room to help pack.

"What is all this excitement for, B?" He asked his daughter, as Lucy let out a soft chuckle. Bennett looked up at her father, "Mama said I can pack toys and stuff for you and her to play with me in New York, Daddy!" The five year old happily said. Tim shot a glance towards Lucy, who was having a relatively difficult time holding in her laughter. "She did, did she?" Tim asked his daughter, as both Bennett and Lucy nodded. "Looks like she's already got an idea for what she wants to take, huh B?" Lucy asked her, as Bennett turned around, showcasing some of the items she had collected. Bennett nodded, before she said, "I haves all this! Daddy, we can play dress up!" She giggled, "Mama can play too!" She said, as Lucy smiled and said, "I would love to be included in playing dress up with you and Daddy."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lucy and Tim had mostly packed all of their things and Bennett's things, minus some essentials like their toiletries. They still had plenty of time before they would be flying out to New York, but Lucy, for one, liked to prepare early, to try to minimize the potential to leave any crucial pieces behind. Of course, they would be able to go to one of the stores in New York, if they needed to for anything. The hospital they were going to be at, and the hotel for the few days before the clinical trial begins, were relatively close to a few different chain stores, like Bennett's favorite, Target.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That same night, Tim and Lucy had tucked Bennett into bed, and left Kojo and Max with her in her bedroom. They had gone back downstairs, and were seated on the couch, talking and having a glass of wine to wind down after their day.

"I hope this trial goes well for her. Hopefully it will shrink the tumor some more, or at least buy us time." Lucy said, as Tim nodded. "I hope so too, but if it doesn't, everything is still going to work out just how it's supposed to. Don't think too much about it, for right now." He told her, as she nodded her head.

That night, they had one other seemingly important thing to talk about. That was, marriage. They were already engaged, and were planning on having their wedding eventually, but ever since Bennett was diagnosed with DIPG, they let it move to the back of their minds, as their daughter took precedence over a wedding ceremony.

"I was thinking," Lucy said, "Maybe we could do a small wedding ceremony before we leave." Tim looked up from his glass, "You want to do that?" He asked her. "Only if you would agree," she told him, "That way we'll know Bennie can have a part in it, and we can do it before she progresses or it gets too late."

Tim thought about it for a moment, before he nodded. "I think you're completely right, Luce. I think Bennett being a part of our wedding is crucial, so we do need something sooner rather than later." He said.

That led to the long awaited discussion over the ceremony they would have. Neither of them wanted anything super extravagant, but they wanted to make sure they could include all of their closest family members and friends. Tim and Lucy wanted something intimate and small, and nothing too stressful, as they had enough stress on their plates. So, they decided to do a small ceremony at a local church, and have a small reception back at their house. They had discussed dates, and decided on August 30th, which was only two days before they were set to leave for New York. Sure, that was cutting it very close, but they needed to make sure they would have time to pull off such a big moment.

Luckily for them, everyone was willing to help out in planning the ceremony, and everything was set to go off without a hitch on the 30th, and then everyone would send the family off to New York, in order to try a new method to try to save their daughter.