14: T𝐡𝐞 𝐃𝐫𝐢𝐯𝐞 𝐇𝗼𝗺𝐞 𝐖𝐡𝐞𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐁𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐝 𝐇𝗼𝐩𝐞 𝐓𝐮𝐫𝐧𝐞𝐝 𝐭𝗼 𝐂𝐫𝐲𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐒𝐜𝐫𝐞𝐚𝗺𝐢𝐧𝐠 "𝐖𝐡𝐲"

January 15th, 2031

    Bennett's MRI had once again been shuffled around a bit, due to the doctor being out with an illness, and a few other things. However, the final date was January 15th. This was the day that Tim and Lucy would find out if the CED worked, and if it bought them any more time with Bennett.

    She had a relatively early appointment time, causing the family to have to be at the hospital by 9:30 that morning. Her MRI would follow shortly after that, as long as everything is running on time. It'll take a little while for the doctor to read and analyze the results, but he will then meet with the family to discuss the results, and any options that will remain for Bennett.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Bennett had been having some really good days. She seemed to have taken a complete 360 from where she was at Christmas. The day of her MRI also started out as a good day. She woke up in a good mood, willingly got dressed, and that allowed the whole family to leave the house on time. That was monumental, since recently, they had been notorious for running late, but they refused to let it bother them.

    Tim and Lucy followed the same standard procedure that they had every time Bennett had a scan or any type of doctor's appointment. This usually helped the morning, or whenever the appointment was, go relatively smoothly, and with minimal errors.

    The family arrived at the hospital five minutes early, as Tim grabbed Bennett out of her seat, and carried her in. Walking was still proving to be quite the challenge for the five year old, so most of the time Tim would just carry her, and Bennett was never one to complain about being carried everywhere by her daddy.

    Tim, Lucy, and Bennett entered the hospital, before they went back to check in at the same receptionist's desk that they always did. It wasn't too long after that when Bennett's name was called. Just like the last time, the three walked back to the room and got Bennett situated, before leaving so the scan could take place. The scan took just as long as it always did, though it often felt significantly longer. Once it was over, the family was once again reunited, before they were led to the next waiting room, where they would wait for the doctor to take them to his office.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Waiting to be called back felt like forever to Tim and Lucy. Was it because this was when they would see a potential timeline for how much longer they had with their daughter? More than likely, that was the reason.

    However, a mere twenty minutes later, Bennett's name was called once again, and the three of them headed back to the office, where they waited for the doctor to enter.

    The doctor entered the room with the same soft knock he always utilized, as Bennett was occupied with her father's phone, and Tim and Lucy were seated at the desk, holding one another's hand while they waited. "Sorry for another delay, guys. I had to personally track down her scan file, it seemed to never make it up here. But, I did find it and look it over before I got in, so we can talk about it." The doctor said, as Tim and Lucy proceeded to hold their breath. The doctor drew in a relatively sharp breath, before he spoke his next sentence.

    "Unfortunately, the MRI shows that Bennett's tumor has grown. I know it shrunk before you left for New York, however, it has grown again." He informed them, as Tim and Lucy's hearts sank. "So the trial didn't work?" Tim asked. The doctor shook his head, "Not necessarily. I believe it worked at the beginning, but over time, it wasn't as strong as she truly needed."

    "Can she go back? Can they do it again, but make the chemo stronger?" Lucy asked, hoping for the correct answer. "Unfortunately, no. The trial is a one time thing. Had the medicine worked the way it should, then it would be a different story." He told them, before adding, "Don't let this scare you over your timeline with her. Her tumor grew, yes, but that doesn't mean we're running low on time. There is a trial in Atlanta, that I sent in her case for. If they were to accept her, you can of course say no, but I think it will help." He told them, as Tim and Lucy listened in. "What is it?" Tim asked immediately, willing to do anything it took.

    "It's called the ONC2o1 trial. Instead of having a procedure with a pump, this one will include an oral drug that should kill the cancer cells, but not the normal cells. Of course, this isn't a guarantee. However, I advise you to think about it." He told them, as the parents nodded. "If she gets in and you guys decide to do it, you'll have to travel again, but you shouldn't be gone as long. They'll handle her MRI's while you are down there, and will communicate those results, and send them to me. Afterwards, we'll meet to discuss any next steps for her." He said. They group talked for a little bit longer, before the doctor said his goodbyes, and exited the room. Tim, Lucy, and Bennett checked out from the hospital, and headed home in complete silence.

The remainder of the day went on just the same as any other day. Their routine stayed the same, in order to benefit the five year old. Bennett went to bed at the same time of 9:30 that night, her bedtime had been moved a bit later, to give her a little extra playtime, which was also a positive thing to her.

After Bennett had been tucked in, Tim and Lucy handled their own night routines. That night, though, they didn't go straight to sleep. It took a few minutes before one of them spoke on the day's news.

"Do you think this trial is our last option?" Lucy asked Tim. Tim thought for a moment, before he shrugged his shoulders. "I don't know, Luce. I don't want to think it is, but I feel like we're running out of options. The radiation worked some, the first trial worked a little, if at all, and now we have to hope she gets accepted to this one, and that it works." He said, as Lucy nodded. "I guess we're back to our waiting game, then." Lucy said, as Tim agreed. "I hope we can get her in this trial, and that it works."

Almost a month later, Tim and Lucy heard back from Bennett's doctor, in regards to the ONC2o1 trial in Atlanta. Bennett had been accepted, and should they choose to take the chance, she would have her initial visit within the following three to four weeks. Tim and Lucy discussed it for a short time, having gone back and forth after their bedtime discussion, before they came to their official answer. They accepted the spot in the trial for Bennett, and the countdown to Atlanta was officially on.