Chapter 66: The man and the beast V

After a brief moment of surprise, John finds enough air in his lungs to speak. He stutters at the thought of it.

John Kado: Your...your emissary?

Kardama: Yes. I do not know when or if I will disappear and reappear, or reincarnate, but either way, I think it would not hurt either of us to have you become my emissary.

John Kado: What about the other guy?

Kardama: I have already forgiven him. That is the only reason why he is serving punishment in the first place. Once his proportionate penance is paid, he will return and find a partner to work with. After getting killed a few times, you two will surely get along.

John Kado: I see.

Kardama makes his metal cup disappear as he takes a relaxing position, laying down on bare earth, his hands crossed beneath his head.

Kardama: You don't have to answer now. Such important matters have to be properly pondered on.

John Kado: No need. I humbly refuse your offer.

Kardama raises a brow.

Kardama: You do? I thought you would jump at the chance, since you so love to be around me. You could experience the eons for yourself, and have stories even I wouldn't be around to know.

John Kado: And be immortal? Live forever? Not my style. I am more of the 'die bravely in battle, have songs written about your valour' type.

Kardama: A lot of songs have been written and sung about our exploits over the ages. They just had no idea of the right names to use.

John Kado: I appreciate the opportunity, but I still, and I am trying to keep my head intact here, respectfully decline.

Kardama shrugs, relaxed as ever.

Kardama: Okay, your loss, Baylorson.

The melancholic mood returns to John Kado. He lays beside Kardama, watching the stars appear in the sky. Nightfall has come.

John Kado: It probably does not help that we are just a few days removed from the anniversary of our famous victory.

Kardama smiles, closing his eyes.

Kardama: Ahh, so that is why you have been feeling so emotional.

John Kado: I know I am supposed to be a war hero and all, but I still feel like casual John.

Kardama smiles at the opportunity to take a jab at the regent.

Kardama: Well, what good is that? You should be feeling like bastard John.

John laughs softly, his laughter fading like smoke on a windy day. He mutters softly.

John Kado: I miss my mother.

Kardama reacts with a coarse voice, authoritative by all possible interpretations.

Kardama: Sit up, now.

John does as he is told, lacking the energy and willpower it would take to be defiant. Kardama instantly appears in front of him, standing. His blue eyes glow brightly in the darkness of the night. He stretches his hand towards John, muttering indistinctly. At the end of his muttering, a strip of grey hair appears on the right side of John's head. John just watches Kardama, wordless. Smiling warmly at him, Kardama speaks to his understanding.

Kardama: Now you are special. Happy birthday, John Kado.

John's eyes widen in surprise. Words could not convey his feelings, and words he did not try to use. He just stared on, lost in those magnificent ocean eyes.