Chapter 69: The man and the beast VIII

The battle of Bravestone was set to begin. The Oragonians, in a bid to bolster their numbers, took teenage boys to battle. On one end was John Kado, Gaius and Théo Real, leading the lines for the Malv forces. On the other end stood the titole autonome, Kardama, and the leaders of the three major Oragonian tribes, leading the lines for the separatists. The children of the Oragonian leaders stood right behind them. High chief of the Hōlē, Frey, his teenage son, Omero, lord of Extalia, Orchard, his teen son, Klaus, and the lord of Magmaterre, the boisterous Kelechi, and his young daughter, Cassandra, all prepared for war.

One of the few mounting horses, John Kado and Kardama both kick their horses in a trot, approaching each other. The horses stop as they converge some distance away from both armies.

John Kado: You know that it is not too late to stop this from happening.

Kardama: They will sing songs and write stories about this moment centuries after you are gone. Just like you wanted.

John Kado: No supernatural interferences, yes?

Kardama nods.

John Kado: My regards to your emissary.

John turns his horse around, returning to his army. Kardama does same. Théo speaks rudely to John.

Théo: You must be so good at choosing friends.

Gaius frowns at him.

Gaius: You are speaking to the commander-in-chief, Théo.

Théo: Not for long, by the looks of it.

John Kado: No change of mind.

Théo: If I drive a sword into his chest, will he die?

John Kado: Dark nemesis, yes.

Théo: That is all that matters.

Théo kicks his horse on the sides, forcing the brown stallion to move forward. John Kado motions his hand in the air, instructing his army to move forward. At the other end, the same thing occurs. Kardama moves ahead of the Oragonian fighters, raising his right hand in the air. He roars before giving the go-ahead.

Kardama: For your freedom!

The Oragonians charge forward, as do the Malv loyalists. There are no archers on the battlefield, only close rangers. With deafening war cries charging the atmosphere, Kardama could not help but remember the countless battles he had witnessed before. The memories are so consuming, he doesn't snap out of them until his back touches the ground with a loud thud.

Kardama blinks his eyes, trying to get dirt out of them. He felt the impact of the fall like a human would. He begins to take deep breaths. His horse was cut down. The raging Malv army was still a stone throw away, at the time of his fall, so, it shouldn't have been possible for them to strike him down. Kardama rises to his feet, slowly moving to where his injured horse lays. He feels a heavy metallic object smash his back, forcing him to his knees. Somehow successfully turning his head, he finds Frey behind him with a warhammer in hand. Struggling to his feet, another smash sends Kardama rolling over, stopping beside his horse. Looking his horse in the eye and hearing the shuddering horse's laboured breathing, Kardama slits its throat with a dagger, before rolling to his feet.

Kardama finds himself encircled by Malv fighters and Northmen alike. Squinting his blue eyes, he angrily glares at them. His voice echoes through the land.

Kardama: You ungrateful lot!

Kardama directs his left hand at a section of the crowd, to their absolute horror. Remembering the terms he set for the battle, he slowly lowers his hand, pointing his dagger instead. Frey nudges Omero forward, the young lad wielding a sword too heavy for him to lift. The space within the circle had turned into the battleground. Dragging his sword, Omero moves forward, towards Kardama. Kardama speaks angrily.