Chapter 6. Sinful fantasy

Back to Adeleine's POV

No words escaped my mouth as I gazed at the man in front of me incredulously.

It was the man that Courtney had been torturing ever since he decreed Oliver to assist me. I was just curious to see him, but I never expected it was the man who once abused me.

I don't remember his surname, but I am perfectly certain his first name is Fredrin. Aside from my husband, this man is one of the evils who wrecked me, and I will never forget his face.

"How could you manage to be so elusive?!" I yelled until our eyes met. My mind couldn't process the view that I was seeing. "I know my husband helped you escape. Admit it!"

My hands quivered in both pain and rage as I glared at him with so much abhor. The memories of those hell nights were still vivid in my mind, and it was so depressing that I could still feel them on my skin.

He looked terrible, badly injured by a couple of bullets and all the physical abuse he'd gone through. His clothes were covered in blood, and his hair was disheveled as if he hadn't gotten a decent rest and a proper wash for weeks.

"Answer me, asshole!" I hollered, letting my outburst of anger fuel it even more. "How the hell did you get away? You should be dead!"

"Stop yelling, will you?" He gave me an unbothered look before he closed his eyes. "I don't even know who the fuck you are."

With those words he articulated, the pain inside me died away, and the anger took over." So you don't remember me?!"

He didn't respond.

"You, fucking moron!" I shouted before my feet dragged me into the long table's right corner. And without reluctance, I took one knife out of its case, which was already open.

I walked faster toward his direction with the knife held high while my mind began going wild, wondering what I could do to him. All that mattered at this moment was hurting that scum. He deserved it for everything he put me through.

Soon, I found myself standing before him until he opened his eyes in stupefaction. "What the fuck is your problem?"

"Make you remember me!"

My hand moved forward without thinking before I stabbed him right through his chest.

That's when I lost myself; the knife slipped out of my hands before I sank to my knees with my whole weight resting on my arms. I stayed like that for a minute, trembling in fear.

Every touch and every hit that Fredrin had given me, every tear and every scream, came rushing back to me again. Those scars that he inflicted upon me were engraved deep into my soul and would never leave. Even if they were from three years ago, that didn't obliterate them, and nothing could change them.

"Adeleine?"

A voice pulled me back to reality just in time, and I looked up to see Courtney staring at me with concerned eyes. But as soon as his gaze diverted to Fredrin's dead body on the chair while bleeding, the worry turned to shock.

Did I really kill him?

It's not me.

It's not.

Courtney glanced back at me.

"I-I-m sorry... Courtney. I—"

He walked faster toward me and dropped his knees to embrace me tightly. Those intended words I wanted to convey died in my throat, and with his warm arms around mine, I let my tears fall freely.

*****

Courtney had been waiting for my explanation. We're currently inside his room, sitting next to each other in silence as I gather my thoughts to formulate an answer.