Chapter 19. The Mission

It took us forty minutes to reach La Grande Hall from Courtney's mansion. He parked the car in a garage reserved for his car. As soon as he got out of the car, I could feel my muscles tighten up. I was nervous yet curious about what to expect when we got inside. But it wasn't long until the door beside me opened, revealing Courtney, who was now lending a hand for me to get down from my seat. 

“You ready?

I nodded and smiled. "Yes."

I smiled and took his offered hand with mine. As soon as we walked into the main entrance, I was immediately greeted by the scent of roses that wafted through the air. The view that greeted us was a fantastic sight. The entire building was decorated with flowers, from the grandiose fountain to the lush flower beds and some plants hanging off in every corner. The floor was marble, which looked so inviting under our feet. But we are walking in the middle of the grand hallway, where red carpets were laid down, making our shoes glint brightly in the light.

We continued walking, and I must admit that the more we walked, the more my apprehension grew. There are many people around. Some were talking and laughing. Some took pictures or videos on their phones, but others seemed to mind their business.

When Easton Moore's image appeared in my mind, the uneasiness only increased.

My mind was in complete chaos, brooding about my objective today, the possibilities I could gain from this mission, and the possible repercussions if I did not accomplish it. It only lasted when Courtney's hand moved to my waist.

I took a deep breath when his grip tightened. "Just accomplish the plan accordingly, as I told you. I promise I won't let any harm come to you," He said softly as we made our way to the right corner, where a group of people stared at us.

"Yeah, right. No one will hurt me," I said, reassuring him.

"No one can," He corrected, and those words seemed to give me a small bit of reassurance. However, I have to conceal the impact he has on me.

"How certain are you about the outcome?" I asked, changing the topic. “I don't want to disappoint you, and I don't want you to think I'm weak. I wonder if you will still protect me if I fail." I cleared my throat, hoping that the fear I was feeling wouldn't show on my face.

I was stunned when he pushed me against the wall. His hands were placed firmly on either side of my head, trapping me between them. "I would never think of you as weak." He looked intently at me. I'm going to make sure you succeed. If I see the slightest sign that you're doing badly, expect me to be by your side. You have my undying protection. Got it?"

He smirked slightly before leaning in closer to whisper. His minty breath tickled the edge of my lips, making me want to close my eyes and melt into his touch. But I didn't dare move. "Yes. I trust you."

I swallowed hard when I realized he remained rigid, watching me closely. I'm not certain if he was analyzing my expression or maybe he just wanted to stare at my face longer. 

Hush now, self! 

Why do I even think of him like that?

"So, can we proceed now?" I asked, trying my hardest to ignore how close he was while focusing on keeping myself composed. He nodded before he finally backed away, giving me space to breathe. "Please lead the way. And please call me Savannah. That's the name you gave me, remember?" I smiled playfully, which made him smile back, which caused his dimples to appear.

"Sure, Savannah." He grabbed my wrist and led until we stopped in the right corner. Courtney went behind me and moved his face near my ear. "The man wearing the brown suit over there is Easton Moore. He's the main target."