Chapter 10. Incursion

The trepidation inside me was like a hefty stone weighing down on me. No words fled my mouth, especially when the image of my abusive husband flickered across my mind for a fraction of a second. But my imagination vanished from the moment I heard Courtney.

"All of you come here!" He called out in his clear yet strong voice. I was dumbfounded to see more than ten men coming out from different spots. Their moves were quick and precise as they all stood before him, awaiting the decree. So, does this mean men are around while Courtney taught me how to shoot? I hadn't noticed their presence earlier, not even for one second.

"We're facing an unknown adversary. I need you to adapt. Mobilize our elite units. Make sure half of you will accompany the Python Team. The rest must stay here and take every precaution." His commanding tone was still calm despite the grave atmosphere, but only because he knew how to control himself. "And later, I'll give you a signal once I summon Chief William. We must convene with them to decide the next action."

"Copy that, Sir!" Everyone responded in unison.

Courtney put both hands inside his pocket, the fierce glint in his eyes while examining them individually before finally releasing them. "Any questions?"

"None, Sir," They answered immediately and bowed their head before dispersing to their respective jobs.

I watched them move until Courtney grabbed my right hand, dragging me along until we headed downstairs. My mind was completely immersed in what was happening and what would ensue next. The fear of what Blane might do to me and everyone was enough to make my body tense with anxiety.

What I'm doing is stupid and dangerous, isn't it? How can I be so reckless about such things without any regard at all? Blaine will surely entangle my parents in his filthy schemes, which will cause me pain beyond measure, the same feeling I had when I suffered in his arms. My parents never treated me with compassion or love, but my heart couldn't help but yearn for their safety nonetheless.

After contemplating for a fleeting moment, we finally reached a room. It's his room, I can tell. It's enormous, immaculate, and expensively embellished. All the furniture matched, and the carpet was lustrous and uncluttered. The whole place screamed "money."

He dragged me in front of a closet made entirely of glass, then hastily took off all the accessories I was wearing.

"W-Wait, what are you doing?" His sudden action stumped me, but I didn't stop him from removing them.

"We're being tracked." He soon removed my last accessory, a gold necklace.

"What?"

He lifted the necklace to examine it more closely, and his face contorted into a scowl.

"Think, Adeleine." He returned his gaze to me. "What did your husband give you that could be traced?"

"I think you're right." I gulped in dread. "Look, there are two stones in the pendant, but they aren't the same."

With those words, he continued his actions until he reached my hand and looked me in the eye. "I'm sorry, but I have to do this."

I nodded as a sign of approval. After removing them all, he threw them on the floor with an audible noise and glared at them hatefully. He then opened the closet and took a gun. "Hold this." I swallowed hard as he handed it to me with so much trust. "Careful. It's loaded."

I nodded my head as I took the gun. As soon as my hand grasped onto it, I felt uneasy, and the weight on my arm made me sweat uncomfortably.

He then moved to the other side of the room and started changing his clothes while I stood awkwardly in front of the closet. From formal attire to a cool one, as if he's an action star ready for a grave fight. He's wearing a long white sleeve and a red vest over the top. His every move is so perfect, flawless, and refined.