Chapter 33: Old Flame

An unexpected encounter

Tasha's POV

I ran around the empty corridors of the palace, hoping to find a secret place which could lead me to where the Fire Lord would be. If my instincts were correct, there should be an area where no other outsider can enter, because of an ability they couldn't posses. Perhaps, a door which was unlocked by it.

Yes - by Fire bending.

Because I could do just that, it was of no difficulty for me at all. But I had to be quick. The eclipse was about the start soon, and I had to quickly unlock the door before my fire bending goes out.

As I ran, I spotted a door which stood out more than the rest. It had a large lock, with carvings of two metal dragons on them. These dragons seemed to encircle the door, with their mouths wide open, as if ready to take in something.

Will it take in Fire? Well, I wouldn't know unless I tried.

Crossing my fingers in hope, I quickly got to my fire bending stance and hurriedly punched fire from my fists, blasting it to the two mouths of the dragons.

As fate would have it, I heard a click sound, and the doors opened slightly ajar, revealing a corridor which had steps that led downstairs, as if to a hidden underground passage.

I did it!

I stealthily crept in, and silently shut the door behind me. The people of the palace were in here, so I had to be extra careful about being caught.

Just then, I felt my power starting to drain. I could feel as if half of my energy went away momentarily in that moment, and I immediately knew why.

The Solar Eclipse had started.

I wondered how Aang and the rest are faring out there? Because I knew they would find out about this place soon - since they were just that capable.

Well, don't disappoint me now Aang - give it your best shot!

Running down the steps, I was greeted by a array of underground corridors, and I had no clue where to go, so I kept walking. Whenever I met with a junction, I would just let my instincts tell me where to go. After all, my guardian instincts never played me out before.

But I was wasting a lot of time. I knew I had to find them before the eclipse ended, but it didn't seem to be the case, looking at how lost I seem to be in this maze.

It was then I heard it.

It might have been soft, but I was definitely sure - that I heard it.

"Coward! You think you're brave enough to face me but you'll only do it during an eclipse!"

Was it... him? Did Aang finally manage to find the Fire Lord?

And the voice, It... it seemed to be coming from the door at the end of this corridor!

I quickly ran, then broke into a sprint, as I made my way through the long stretch of the corridor.

At the end of the corridor, I was greeted by a large, decorated metal door, where I was certain the voices were coming from.

Aang should be in here. And he IS probably confronting the Fire Lord.

Just then, I felt a sudden surge of energy within me. I gasped in shock, as I suddenly realised the perilous situation that we were in. I quickly tried to light a fire using my palm. On my palm, was a small flame which flickered in the gloomy cave.

The Solar Eclipse was over.

"Your penalty will be far steeper."

I clearly heard the voice of the Fire Lord beyond the doors that were in front of me, and I stood rooted to the ground in shock, as I realised the true meaning of those words.