Chapter 18: Onwards to Ba Sing Se

Reaching our Destination

Tasha's POV

It had been a month since our last encounter with Team Avatar and that witch of a person, Princess Azula.

Finally... we were almost reaching our destination - onwards to Ba Sing Se. We just had to take a ferry ride to the city. Thankfully, we managed to get our tickets for the ferry ride. Right now, we were just waiting for the refugee boat to make its way into the city.

Zuko was grumbling a lot, crossing his arms and leaning over the sides of the boat.

"I can't believe I'm actually having to do this. Being stuck in this low life boat, with people who aren't even of my social status."

I glanced at his sulky self as he sunk himself back, leaning on the wall.

"Why can't things get better already?" He continued to grumble.

I half-smiled, placing a hand on his shoulder.

"Lighten up, Zuko. Things will get better."

I smiled genuinely at him. He held my hand that was on his shoulder gently.

"It definitely is, better." Zuko then placed his arm over me and brought me closer to him in an embrace. I snuggled closely underneath his arms, letting my head rest on his shoulders.

"Having you by my side." He softly kissed my forehead.

I smiled in response. How sweet, I thought. We continued staying by each others' side for a few moments, before I heard the growling of Zuko's stomach.

I chuckled. "Come on Zuko, let's get some food to eat."

Zuko agreed and we went to collect our food to eat. I was starving as we didn't have much to eat the past couple of days. The only thing I lived on was some nuts that I had collected along the way.

But, our spirits came crashing down at the sight of the food presented to us. The food that the ship gave for us to eat wasn't the best - it was horrible and disgusting, to be exact. Zuko wasn't amused at this.

"Ugh, I'm so sick and tired of eating rotten food!" Zuko hissed, slamming the bowl of green looking slimy looking soup on the floor.

"I'm tired of living like this!"

"Who isn't?" A voice called out from behind us, as if on cue. I spun around in surprise, and I saw a guy who was around Zuko's height, leaning against the wall. He had hair that was unkempt, seemed to be similar to our age too.

I didn't like the way he stared at me.

"The name's Jet." He introduced himself, giving me a wink. I raised my eyebrow in a questioning silence.

"And here are my friends, Longshot and Smellerbee." He pointed to two other kids, one who was at an average height and lean, the other was a small petite girl who didn't seem to look like a girl. She had the tomboyish look, and I actually thought she was a boy at first glance. But I guess not, since she had a very feminine aura around her.

"We're the freedom fighters." Jet said it so cooly, as if it was all planned. "I heard the captain of this ship eats like a king."

I glanced up to look for Zuko's reaction, but he kept silent, preferring not to talk. I looked back to this Jet guy's face which was masked with a small mischievous smirk.

"We were thinking of stealing their food, and we want you to join us." Jet extended his hand to Zuko, inviting him.

"Why should I help you?" Zuko spat, looking infuriated and irritated by his presence. Jet then sent a mischievous look towards my direction and he walked up to me.