𝔱𝔴𝔬

Annika sat on the passenger seat of the car, eyes drinking in the nocturnal side of Goa—— as Arjun manoeuvred the car through the empty streets, following the GPS coordinates.

Her elbow rested right on the space between the window and the door of the car, her chin on her palms, as she glanced at her cellphone with furrowed eyebrows.

"We'll be there in about five minutes," Arjun's voice snapped her out of her daze.

She nodded slowly, sighing as she glanced at her chaand bracelet. Fiddling with the chains, she breathed in slowly before looking at their neighbour.

"Thank you," Annika smiled hesitantly. "For helping."

Arjun inclined his head, "I'd be a pretty shitty neighbour if I didn't." Annika chuckled, as she looked out the window once more. "Annika?" She hummed, turning back to look at him. "I can call you Annika, right?" She nodded. "Is there a reason you and Shivaay Singh Oberoi moved to Goa?"

She stiffened, "Pardon?"

"Well, your husband is one of the best businessmen out there," he shrugged. "And the stunt of you two saving those a school children made news around the entire country."

"Right," she mumbled.

"I was wondering why you both are in Goa all of a sudden," Arjun glanced at her, eyebrows furrowing as he took in the stiff posture of his neighbour. "You don't have to explain anything, if you don't want to."

"No, it's just——" Annika huffed in annoyance. "I——" her voice faltered as she spotted the bar nearby. "Are we here?"

Arjun glanced at the brightly lit building and nodded. "Do you want me to go inside with you?"

"I'll manage," she shook her head. "You can go."

"Go?" Arjun's eyes brows furrowed. "I'm not going anywhere."

"Mr. Singhal, I'll manage," Annika sighed audibly.

"I've come to help you," he shook his head. "I'm not leaving without the both of you." As Annika opened her mouth to protest, Arjun shrugged, "I'm staying here regardless of whether you agree or not."

"Tadibaaz," she muttered, before leaving behind a confused Arjun, who tried to figure out the meaning behind her words.

Annika clutched her cellphone tightly in her hands, as she paid a hefty sum to the bouncers to let her in. As soon as the door opened, she was met with the squeals and shouts of young people who seemed to be college students; as well as a few middle aged people that were laughing and drinking.

She made her way to the bar, eyes scouring for her husband.

"Can I get you something?" A young woman in her early twenties walked up to her with a smile.

"Have you seen a man, passed out?" Annika winced in embarrassment.

The bartender's eyes widened. "You're that man's wife?" Annika—— guessing that she was the one to have called her, as well as was talking about Shivaay—— nodded. "He's there," she pointed to the left end of the bar.

Annika's heart ached as she saw her husband staring at the glass of clear gold liquid in a tumbler. He tapped his finger against the glass, before downing it in one go.

He raised a hand, and a young man filled his glass once more.

Annika walked towards Shivaay, snatching the glass from his hands as he brought it up to his lips.

"Who the fuck——" the words died on Shivaay's lips, as he came face to face with an agitated wife who glared at him coldly.

"Ho gaya?" She grit out.