Sheep in a Wolves Den

Muichiro's stomach growled.

He hadn't been smart enough to take anything with him after he fled. No food, no water, no weapons. Nothing.

The girls had definitely gotten back to the camp by then. They'd definitely found the body.

Muichiro felt nauseous as he imagined them finding the body, thinking about the way their faces would twist into expressions of horror.

They'd probably hate him.

He killed Senjuro, it was only right for them to hate him.

He'd hate him too.

....................................................................

Muichiro huddled in some rubble, watching the sun dip below the horizon, dark night stretching across the sky.

He lay on his back, stray rocks poking against his skin.

The things he would do for a warm comfortable bed.

He watched the sky, picking out constellations. It reminded him of his missions as a Hashira. He'd always take time to look at the stars after he finished.

This apocalypse shit might have been easier if it were like missions.

If he had his sword, he could probably just destroy any zombie that came near easily.

But he didn't have his sword. He had left his sword behind in the panic.

Even if he could make it back to where he left it, it had most likely been looted already. He couldn't just get a new one either, since the all the sword smiths had probably ran or been infected.

Life was going great.

It must have been his subconscious, still feeling guilty, because the sight of the stars brought back memories of a particular mission. A conversation he really didn't want to reflect on at that moment.

...............................................................

Rengoku and Muichiro both sheathed their swords, the last remains of the demons crumbling to dust.

"Great work young Tokitou!"

Rengoku beamed, smiling so brightly it was a miracle Muichiro didn't go blind.

"Thanks." He mumbled.

It was still a while until sunrise, and neither of the two Hashira felt like trekking back to their estates just yet, so they sat down to rest.

Rengoku seemingly felt the need to make conversation, filling the emptiness with the loudness of his voice.

"So Tokitou, do you have any Siblings?"

Muichiro stayed silent for a moment, head angled towards the stars.

"I don't know."

"What? How can you not know?"

"I can't remember."

That seemed to shut him up.

Most people shut up when he mentioned his amnesia. They must have felt bad or something.

It was dumb. He didn't really care that much. Why care about something you can't even remember?

"I have a brother. His names Senjuro."

Muichiro couldn't care less. He hadn't asked.

"He's the same age as you! Though he isn't a demon slayer haha."