Search Party

"SHINOBU!"

Genya and Muichiro yelled in unison, barreling through the halls of the butterfly mansion.

The butterfly Hashira set down what she had been working on in her study, a sweet smile covering her annoyance.

"Yes boys?"

When they had finally managed to catch their breath, they explained to Shinobu what they had found. She pursed her lips and immediately called for Tanjiro, his friends and Kanao.

They were all more than willing to rush out as a search party.

All of them split out across the forest, traveling in groups of two. (except for Nezuko, as the sun hadn't fully set yet.)

"Aniki!"

Genya called out through the trees, over and over. There was no reply, no matter how far they walked and how much he yelled.

Muichiro placed a comforting hand on his shoulder.

"It's alright. If he's out here we'll find him."

"But what if he isn't?" Genya whispered. "What if some zombies got to him, or a gang or-"

"Are we talking about the same Sanemi here?"

Muichiro moved to hold Genya's hand.

"Because that prick would tear apart anyone who tried to lay a hand on him."

Genya took a deep breath.

"Yeah, he would."

___________________

It was dark now, and they still hadn't managed to find any more trace of Sanemi.

"Genya, we have to go back, we can keep searching in the morning."

Muichiro looked at the starry night sky anxiously.

Genya sighed. Muichiro could tell from just a look that the older boy desperately wanted to continue the search. Muichiro couldn't blame him.

He lightly grabbed onto his hand, pulling him back towards the butterfly mansion.

Genya didn't object, silently following him with his eyes fixated on the floor.

When they were back behind the safety of the gates, along with the others who had been searching, Muichiro told Genya he should go bathe. He didn't join him this time, he seemed like he needed some time alone. Instead he curled up under the covers of his bed, humming to himself.

He didn't let himself go to sleep until Genya wandered back into the room, wanting to be sure he wouldn't go off by himself searching.

"You okay?"

Muichiro asked as Genya threw a shirt on.

Genya nodded in response.

Muichiro frowned, not convinced.

"Come here."

He ordered, sitting up.

Genya sighed and sat down on the very edge of the bed, staring at the wall.

"look at me." Muichiro commanded.

Genya begrudgingly turned to face him, and Muichiro reached to cup his face in his hands.

"Sanemi can't have gone far."

He assured him.

"And even he somehow has, we will find him eventually, so stop being so depressed about it. If anything, be happy that we have a starting point to look for him now!"