The Lost Recording

"This place gives me the creeps," Jared whispered, shining his flashlight into the decrepit asylum's entrance

"This place gives me the creeps," Jared whispered, shining his flashlight into the decrepit asylum's entrance. Ivy vines snaked up the crumbling brick walls, and shattered windows gaped like empty eye sockets.

"Don't be a baby," Zoe scoffed, pushing past him. "It's just an old building."

The others followed cautiously - Aiden, Mia, and Liam. They were seeking an adrenaline rush, something to make their summer memorable before senior year began.

The asylum's interior was even more unsettling. Debris littered the rotted floors, and strange symbols adorned the peeling walls. An eerie silence hung in the air, broken only by the scuffling of their feet.

"Over here!" Mia called from a side room. She held up a dusty box of ancient reel-to-reel tapes. "Check out these labels - 'Patient 27B', 'Session 14'..."

"Let's take them," Zoe decided. "Could be cool to listen to some old therapy sessions."

They gathered the tapes and hurried outside, suddenly eager to leave the asylum's oppressive atmosphere.

## The First Recording

Later that night, they crowded around Aiden's laptop, having found a working tape player. Zoe slipped in the first reel.

A man's voice crackled through the speakers. "State your name for the record."

"Patient 27B," a hoarse voice replied. There was a pause, then, "I've seen them again."

The teens exchanged confused looks. Seen what?

"Describe what you experienced," the first voice prompted.

Patient 27B took a shuddering breath. "They came through the mirror this time. Slinking out of the glass like smoke, taking form..." His voice dropped to a terrified whisper. "Their eyes... like black pits devouring all light."

Goosebumps rose on the teens' arms. Zoe reached to stop the tape, but Mia stopped her hand.

"Wait, there's more."

"I tried screaming, but no sound came out. They surrounded me, these...shadow creatures. Watching me with those horrible eyes. Then, one opened its mouth..." 27B trailed off, ragged breaths filling the silence.

"And?" the doctor's voice urged.

"A darkness poured out. A void without end, pulling me in. I could feel my sanity slipping away, my grip on reality loosening..."

The tape ended with a harsh click. The teens stared at each other, white-faced.

"That was...intense," Liam finally managed.

"Just some crazy patient," Zoe said with bravado. "Probably made the whole thing up."

But her hands were trembling.

## Shadows Stir

Over the next few days, they devoured the recordings, each one more disturbing than the last. Patient 27B spoke of worlds beyond their own, dimensions coexisting in the same space, separated only by a fragile veil. And the entities that dwelled there, malicious beings always watching, waiting to cross over.

"He's clearly mentally ill," Aiden reasoned after one particularly harrowing tape. "Seeing things that aren't there."

But the more they listened, the less convinced they became. 27B's descriptions were so visceral, so detailed - it was hard to dismiss them as mere delusions.

Strange things began happening around them too. Shadows flickered in the corners of their vision. Doors creaked open by themselves. And sometimes, they could have sworn something was watching them from the darkness.

"You're letting those stupid tapes get to you," Zoe chided whenever they got spooked. But she avoided mirrors at night, just in case.

## The Veil Thins

Then one fateful evening, an earth-shattering revelation - they discovered 27B's real identity from the asylum's records. He was Dr. Eric Jenner, a former psychiatrist who had gone mad and been committed to his own asylum.

"He wasn't just some patient..." Mia whispered, horrified. "He was a doctor. An expert in the human mind."

They gathered around the tape player with new urgency, determined to reach the last recording and find some answer to the madness described within.

27B's - no, Dr. Jenner's - voice was growing increasingly frantic with each tape. "The veil is thinning," he rasped on the second-to-last reel. "They're going to break through soon. I can feel them, pressing against the boundaries, clawing at the fabric of our reality..."

A inhuman shriek of pure terror cut through the speakers, making them jump.

"No! Get back! Stay in your realm, you foul creatures! I won't let you--"

The tape ended, his scream still ringing in their ears.

"Oh god..." Liam's face was ashen. "What have we done?"

## The Last Recording

They sat in numb silence, the final tape spinning between them. After several tense minutes, Jared reached out with a trembling hand and pressed play.

"I don't know how much longer I can hold them back," Dr. Jenner's voice began, laced with exhaustion and dread. "They're relentless, battering against the veil, wearing it thin..."

There was a distant thump, like something striking a wall. The teens startled, looking around wildly.

"They sense my weakness. They know I'm the only thing preventing their invasion into this world." A weary chuckle. "The irony - I've spent my life studying the workings of the human psyche, only to encounter horrors that defy all reason, all sanity..."

Another thump, louder this time. Zoe's hands flew to her mouth to stifle a whimper.

"If you're hearing this, then I've failed to stop them. The veil has been breached, and their world is bleeding into ours." His voice took on urgency. "You must find a way to force them back, to reseal the rift before it's too late. Before they--"

A deafening crash, like reality itself was shattering. Jenner's scream of agony tore through the speakers, followed by a cacophony of inhuman shrieks and howls.

Then, silence.

The tape spun to a stop with a soft click.

For a long moment, the only sound was their ragged breathing. Then, a floorboard creaked behind them.

They whirled around to see a tendril of inky blackness slithering across the floor, taking form before their horrified eyes. Two hollow pits opened in the shadowy mass, fixing them with a soulless gaze.

Mia screamed, the sound piercing and endless. More shapes began emerging from the darkness, surrounding them with their empty, hungering stares.

"The veil..." Aiden choked out. "It's been torn open..."

The shadows surged forward in a wave of malevolent hunger. The teens scrambled back, screaming, as those terrible void-eyes bore into them.

Then the darkness swallowed them whole.