The Manuscript

Sarah had always dreamed of being a published author

Sarah had always dreamed of being a published author. Ever since she was a little girl, writing fictional stories was her passion. She majored in English in college hoping to one day turn that passion into a career. Five years after graduating, she was still working a day job she hated, barely making enough time to write on the sidelines.

One Saturday, she decided to browse the used bookstore near her apartment, hoping some old classics could provide inspiration. As she scanned the dusty shelves, one book in particular caught her eye - a simple leather notebook with no title on the spine. Curious, she pulled it out and opened to the first page, seeing handwritten text inside. The page was dated nearly 50 years prior. She began reading:

"Chapter 1 - A New Beginning
Sarah shut the door to her tiny apartment, feeling drained after a long day at the office. She dreamed of quitting her boring administrative job to focus on her writing full time. If only she could get her first novel published..."

Sarah gasped. The character's name, current situation - it was all too much of a coincidence. She turned to the next page eagerly, immersing herself in someone else's unfinished tale. The character's journey mirrored her own so closely it sent a chill down her spine.

Over the next few weeks, Sarah spent every spare moment reading the mysterious manuscript. Its raw, visceral prose had her on the edge of her seat. The character named Sarah was struggling to balance her writing dreams with financial stability, just like the real Sarah. Each new chapter revealed unnerving parallels, down to the smallest details.

One afternoon, Sarah reached a chapter that made her blood run cold. She read:

"Chapter 15 - A Knock at the Door
Sarah settled into her worn armchair with a fresh cup of tea, ready to edit the latest pages of her novel. A sharp rap at the door startled her from her work. She wasn't expecting visitors. Slowly, she rose and peered through the peephole. To her surprise, she found her neighbor Mike standing in the hallway, hands behind his back. She opened the door, uneasy about the strange look in Mike's eyes..."

Sarah slammed the manuscript shut, her heart racing. Mike was the name of her actual neighbor, a man who unnerved her with his frequent unwanted visits and intense stares. Could this manuscript be predicting the future? Or was it just a bizarre coincidence? She pushed the worries from her mind, telling herself it was all just a story.

A few nights later, Sarah was curled up on the couch continuing her read, when she heard a knock at her door. Dread washed over her as she peered through the peephole, seeing Mike standing there with that same eerie expression. Hands trembling, she slowly opened the door. "Hey Sarah, just thought I'd stop by. You've been so busy lately, thought you could use some company," he said in a strangely calm tone.