The Unseen

Lena pulled her beat-up Honda Civic into the cobblestone driveway and stared up at the towering Victorian house looming before her

Lena pulled her beat-up Honda Civic into the cobblestone driveway and stared up at the towering Victorian house looming before her. Its dark windows seemed to peer down at her ominously. She double-checked the address on her phone - 1313 Hawthorne Lane. This was definitely the place.

Grabbing her duffel bag from the passenger seat, Lena climbed out of the car. A gust of chilly October wind whipped her long dark hair across her face. Shivering, she zipped up her jacket and made her way to the front door. Ancient dead leaves crunched under her boots.

As a struggling grad student, Lena jumped at the chance to make some extra cash dog-sitting for a wealthy couple while they jetted off to Europe for two weeks. But now, standing before the creepy old house, she was having second thoughts.

Lena rang the doorbell. Muffled barking erupted from inside and she could hear nails skittering across hardwood floors. After a minute, the heavy wooden door creaked open.

"Lena, hello! I'm Vivian, please come in," a middle-aged woman greeted her warmly. She was impeccably dressed in a cashmere sweater and pressed slacks. Her blonde bob was perfectly coiffed.

"Thank you so much for watching Bella and Max while Richard and I are away. We didn't want to board them," Vivian said, ushering Lena inside.

Two golden retrievers bounded up to Lena, tails wagging. She crouched down to pet them. "Oh they're adorable! And no problem, I'm happy to do it."

"I'll show you around," Vivian said. "Richard is just finishing up some last minute packing."

The interior of the house was as impressive as the exterior. Shiny hardwood floors, antique furniture, oil paintings in gilded frames. Vivian pointed out the kitchen, living room, dining room, and library as they walked through.

"The guest room is upstairs, second door on the right. There's a bathroom attached," Vivian explained as they climbed the grand staircase.

Lena peeked into the guest room. It was decorated like something out of a Victorian novel, with a four-poster bed, heavy velvet drapes, and a vanity table complete with a tarnished silver mirror.

"I'll let you get settled in. Please make yourself at home! The fridge and pantry are fully stocked. Help yourself to anything."

Vivian glanced at her watch. "Our flight leaves in two hours, so we must be off. Call if you need anything at all. The vet and emergency numbers are on the fridge. Thanks again, Lena. Bye pups, be good!"

After a flurry of goodbye kisses to the dogs, Vivian swept out, the door slamming behind her with a heavy thud. Lena suddenly felt very alone in the cavernous house. Bella and Max looked up at her, tongues lolling.

"Well guys, I guess it's just us," she said. The dogs wagged their tails.

Lena busied herself unpacking her bag and exploring the bedroom. The old bed creaked as she plopped down on it. She frowned at a twinge of pain in her neck. Must've slept funny last night.