The Soil Crawlers

The sun dipped below the horizon, painting the sky in hues of orange and pink as another day came to a close on the Jameson farm

The sun dipped below the horizon, painting the sky in hues of orange and pink as another day came to a close on the Jameson farm. Bill Jameson stood on the porch, his weathered hands gripping the railing as he surveyed his sprawling fields of corn and soybeans. His wife Martha appeared beside him, her face etched with concern.

"Any sign of them critters again?" she asked, her voice trembling slightly.

Bill shook his head. "Not yet. But I got a bad feeling. It's been too quiet today."

For the past week, each morning had greeted the Jamesons and their neighboring farmers with a grisly sight - cattle ripped open, innards strewn about, the ground churned up as if something had violently erupted from beneath. Claw marks scarred the earth, hinting at monstrous burrowing creatures.

At first they blamed coyotes or wild hogs. But then Jim Thompson, a few farms over, swore he saw the culprit - a giant worm-like beast exploding from the soil to grab a heifer and drag it screaming into the depths. No one believed him. Until the next morning, when they found his mangled body in the fields, strange puncture wounds all over.

Bill sighed and headed inside. Martha had dinner on the table - pork chops, potatoes and gravy, green beans from the garden. They ate in uneasy silence, flinching at every creak of the old farmhouse settling. As they cleared the dishes, a frantic pounding sounded at the door.

Bill grabbed his shotgun and yanked open the door to find their neighbor Sally, sobbing and clinging to the door frame, her clothes and skin smeared with dirt. "It's Jack," she cried. "He's sick, real sick. I don't know what's wrong!"

Exchanging a worried glance, Bill and Martha rushed next door. They found Jack thrashing in bed, his face ashen, strange lumps writhing beneath his skin. Sally wrung her hands as she watched helplessly. "It started just an hour ago. He complained of stomach pain and then..."

Jack let out an inhuman moan, body convulsing. To their horror, a small white worm burst from a boil on his arm, plopping wetly onto the quilt. More boils erupted across his flesh as he groaned in agony. Martha pressed a hand to her mouth, fighting nausea.

As they watched the parasitic worms erupt from poor Jack, realization dawned with sickening clarity. The giant worms weren't just predators. They were carriers, spreading tiny larvae that burrowed into human skin, growing and consuming their hosts from within.

"We have to warn the others," Bill said grimly. But even as he spoke, screams rang out across the darkened fields, carried on the wind from farm to farm. They were already too late.

In the following days, chaos reigned. Those infested by the worm larvae slowly transformed, rotting from the inside out, yet still mobile - mindless zombies shambling across the bloodstained fields. The giant worms grew bolder, brazenly attacking in daylight, their wriggling bulk erupting from the earth to claim victims.

The remaining farmers gathered at the Jameson place to plan a desperate last stand. "I've been researching," said Dan Miller, the high school science teacher. He slammed a dusty tome onto the kitchen table. "They're similar to parasites called nematodes, but on a huge scale. I think they hitched a ride to Earth on that meteor that crashed in the woods last month."