Chapter 1 : Part One

Chapter 1

a nerium oleander

Part One
• Alluring •

.

.

Situated in a small village, whose population only amounted to over fifty, was a small, rundown shack. Tattered cloths served as its curtain, the door barely hanging on its hinges. Though, a variety of plants surrounded this rundown shack, giving an incongruous feeling of beauty.

An old wrinkled hand appeared between the gap of the door and wall, and an old grandma stepped out while carrying a wicker basket.

"Come now," the grandma called out behind her. "It's time to gather some herbs."

"Yes, grandma." Following after her, like a duckling so cute, was a child with vivid sun-like eyes. The child was short, short for his humble age of eight. He was just a little over a meter tall, with cheeks so fair that one would mistake him to be wearing rouges.

He followed after his grandma, whose steps were slow yet consistent.

Their little shack was located at the edge of the village, away from any human noise and activities. Grandmother and grandchild headed for the forest to collect herbs as the autumn season comes close. Being healthy was the first priority of their little community as illness spread quickly from person to person.

This grandmother was in charge of concocting medicines and the child following behind her was the little assistant. She picked him up three years ago, running a high fever while half buried in snow.

Since then, he lived with her and learned her skills. He was bright and talented and learned almost everything the grandmother knew. Even without her, this child could make medicine and distribute it to the villagers.

"We're going to concoct a Jade Windscreen Powder, Xiao Lan. Do you remember what it is?"

"Jade Windscreen Powder is a mix of bai zhu, fang feng, and huang qi. It can be used for patients with weak wei qi who show signs of chronic asthma. It can only be admistered between flare ups and we should use Ling Zhi Lung Formula when it is symptomatic.

"Jade Windscreen Powder can also reduce the severity and frequency of allergic sinusitis, rhinitis, nasal congestion, and wind-cold headache due to allergic sinusitis. We should use it with Xanthium and Magnolia Formula."

The grandma smiled and pat his head. "Xiao Lan is so clever, remembering grandma's teachings."

"It is because grandma teaches so well that Xiao Lan learns fast."

"What does our Xiao Lan eat? Your mouth is as sweet as peonies."

"Grandma raised me like this. That's why Xiao Lan is so sweet!"

Xiao Lan's words warmed grandmother's heart. He was so good at complimenting someone that grandmother worried that he would attract unwanted attention in the future. Her Xiao Lan looked sweet and as fair as a flower.

Better looking than the girls raised in other's homes.

"Grandma."

"What is it, Xiao Lan?"

"May I pick some orchids on the way back? I want to make a bookmark for you."

"You may."

Xiao Lan giggled and held her hand, swaying them back and forth as they trudged down the familiar dirt path.