Chapter 1

The Darkling shook his head. "It may well take me another lifetime to break you, Alina, but I will put my mind to the task." He turned and I acted. I stabbed my arm out and reached across the tether linking me and the Darkling. The Darkling only smirked when he saw me use the cut and turned around again. "An apt pupil, but a terrible liar," and summoned more of his nichevo'ya to flank me. He broke the connection between us.

I gasped as one of his shadow soldiers grasped my wounded arm and dragged me toward him. Tears sprang to my eyes and I quickly tried to blink them away, but the Darkling saw it anyway. "Don't worry Alina, the grief is temporary. Once your tracker finds the firebird, he will die, and nothing will happen. He is just an otkazat'sya. You can't expect anything from him." 

"You're a monster," I spat. "Baghra died because of you, and even she lost hope. I don't know why I still have some left in my heart but don't worry, it won't be there for long," The Darkling only quirked a smile and even then my heart fluttered. A boy blessed with too much strength, but with thousands of years behind him, and thousands of years worth of destruction. He slowly turned around again, walking away towards the front of the lumiya and disappearing behind one of the doors. 

I stood there, surrounded by the nichevo'ya in confusion. Where is he going? I have to get out of here, and fast. I stood as still as I could for a bit longer before suddenly jerking out, hoping to catch the nichevo'ya off-guard, but they were ready for me. They didn't let go of me, even when I cried out as they grabbed my wounded arm tighter than it already was. The door opened and the Darkling walked out, holding something behind his back. 

I twisted again, trying to break free, but his nichevo'ya weren't letting go. The Darkling stood right in front of me, a smile on his cold lips. He brought his hands from behind his back, and I almost vomited in horror. In his hands was a black kefta, with beautiful gold engravings, similar to the one I wore when I was in the Little Palace. I bit my lip hard, to silence the scream building up in my throat. I shook my head and tried to step back, but the nichevo'ya held me in place.

I shook as he nodded once, only to let his shadow soldiers release their grip on me, and stand a few steps behind me. "If you try anything stupid, Alina, I won't hesitate to slit your friend's throat," He gestured to a group of nichevo'ya dragging a fighting figure toward me. I felt myself pale as I saw Tamar, bound by her wrists and ankles, look up at me. I could see her eyes begging for forgiveness as she continued to thrash against her bonds.

I nodded, looked away from Tamar, and stared deep with hate at the Darkling. "Put it on," he said, holding up the kefta. I didn't move. I wasn't going to listen to him, I wasn't going to be like him, not one bit. 

"No," I said, with more confidence than I felt. He said nothing. "I will not, unless you let go of her." 

"Put it on, or watch her blood paint the floor," He said, unblinking. I felt the blood drain from my face and the tiny bit of confidence drain as well. I tried to blink back the tears as I grabbed the stupid kefta and slid it on. His smirk rattled me down to the core. Tamar screamed against her gag and tried to escape the bounds keeping her restrained. "It's perfect." He said, smiling his cold smile before his nichevo'ya dragged Tamar away.

"Keep her alive," he said, still staring at me. "For now," I stepped forward to catch Tamar, but the Darkling grabbed my wrist. He twisted it slightly so that I stopped dead in my tracks, but not enough to hurt me. 

"Please stop," I whispered, trying not to let tears of despair leak from my eyes. The Darkling loosened his grip, but still held my wrist and turned me so that I faced him. 

"I won't stop. Not now, not now that I have you and everything I need. " He said. "I will never stop until you are truly on my side." His cool quartz eyes burned me as he looked into my eyes. I tried to look away, but he let go of my wrist and grabbed my chin. "You will help me weaponize the fold, even if it takes the time of a thousand more years. You will soon learn that hating me gets old in time." He smiled again and let go of me.

I stood frozen in horror as his nichevo'ya dragged me away. "I will find your tracker and he will locate the Firebird. You were meant to have all three amplifiers just as I was meant to rule." The Darkling's cold smile was the last thing I saw before darkness enveloped me.

OMG I DID IT!!

FIRST CHAPTER OF THIS NEW FANFIC LESSGOOOO!! 

If you enjoyed this, please vote and comment what you think so I can keep going!

Thank you all so much!

-Sheepi