love to hate you

A/N: requested by @vertebraespa <33

Jimin stares at the score sheet, her mouth hanging open in abject shock.

There's no god-fucking-way that Kim Minjeong got a higher score than she did. No way. If Jimin knows anything from her long, caffeine-full nights of studying, it's that she's smarter than Kim Minjeong. She gets better grades. She's better than that good-for-nothing, baseball-prodigy Kim Minjeong.

Right?

These stupid tests don't seem to think so.

"Someone should snap a picture. It's not every day you see the Yu Jimin so surprised," an all-too-familiar voice snickers behind her, and Jimin turns to see Minjeong herself, in all her I-can-be-a-jock-and-get-good-grades-too glory. She's wearing a navy letterman, jeans, and a crisp white shirt. Jimin rolls her eyes- of course Minjeong would never try to dress up. She's too comfortable with the idea of being SM High's little golden girl. "I wonder, what could be making you so shocked? Did you finally learn what humbleness is?"

Jimin grits her teeth; she won't let Minjeong's comment get under her skin, no matter how much she despises this stupid girl. "Actually, Kim, it's humility, not humbleness, and I'm surprised all the time. Surprised at the fact that someone as plainly idiotic as yourself could even have the bravery to talk to me."

Minjeong just snorts, crossing her arms, and Jimin ignores the little crowd that's gathered to watch their argument. It's commonplace now in this school; everyone knows Yu Jimin and Kim Minjeong hate each other's guts.

"Well, Yu, if you'd look at the Wikipedia definition of humility, there's another synonym listed there, and it's humbleness, so both work. And there we go with the non"- Minjeong fake coughs, as if she's clearing her throat- "humility. I'm not an idiot, look at the test scores there. Who's the top now? You should be the one having the bravery to approach me instead of trying to pick me apart with your tail between your legs."

Jimin huffs exasperatedly. This girl never shuts up, and she wants nothing more than to kick her until she's quiet. "Of course someone like you would use Wikipedia. In fact, you probably even used it to cheat on that test."

Minjeong's dark eyes narrow furiously, and Jimin grins wickedly. If there's one thing Minjeong hates, it's being accused of cheating. "Are you calling me a liar?"

"Maybe I am, Kim," Jimin says breezily, reveling in the way that Minjeong grits her teeth and balls her fists. "You definitely lie about some things."

"So do you," Minjeong rebuttals angrily. "And look who's the highest test score on that sheet. Right there. Kim Minjeong."

Jimin rolls her eyes, but inside she's smirking. She's got Minjeong riled up now. "Who's not being humble now, Kim?"

Minjeong takes a deep breath, her shoulders rising and falling, and flashes a parting, fake smile. "I've got practice to get to. And then tutoring, where I help less fortunate students such as yourself to achieve high grades like mine." Minjeong shrugs mockingly, already turning on her heel, and starts to walk away.

"I hope that baseball knocks some sense into that overinflated head of yours, Kim," Jimin calls as a parting remark, watching Minjeong go.

Her academic rival only flips her off as she continues down the hall, her red curls bouncing behind her.

[ 3:27 p.m. ]

karomi