THE DRESS

"Oh God!, not today.
Alice shouted by looking at her phone.
"What", I asked her.
"There's gonna be a thunderstorm tonight", she replied.
"So what, it's gonna be romantic ", Lily said as she always loved to dance in the rain and thunderstorms.
I was never fond of this kind of weather, sticky clothes, wet roads and black umbrellas, so creepy.
I wanted a clear ball night, not messy with rain splashes.
I never thought of asking my mother to decide a wardrobe for events but today I felt the need for it.
I wanted to look like a perfect gentleman.
I stepped inside my mother's library, she was sitting beside her study lamp with a pen in her hand. I got close to her and saw that it was the same pen Grace gave me.

"Who gave you this ", she asked me.
I remained silent but I knew that she could notice my blushing face and weird expressions which usually teenagers had when they fall for someone.

"Is it a girl..... she uttered with eagerness".
"Grace Lane, she always help me in literature class ",I replied.
"Ok, she is the reason you are regular in that class ", she said.
"Not like that she is also my Ball partner ",
"Okay fine ".

I told her that I needed her help for choosing the Ball wardrobe. As usual she took me to my father's suit collection. I was never fond of his formal blazers and pants but tonight it was mandatory for me to look classy, so I went with her without any argument. She took out a maroon formal shirt with black blazer and pant.

"You should wear this, it gives gentleman vibes ",she said while giving it to me.

She also took out a box from upper case of almirah and gave to me. I was confused that why was she doing that because that part of almirah belonged to her wardrobe.

"This is for Grace, just gift it to get for tonight", she said
"But she would never accept it because she is so concious about her self - respect".
"Give it to her just the way she gave you her pen", she suggested me.

I wasn't as confident as Grace but I was ready to take a risk. I took my keys, started the car and drove it to her house. I stopped the car and walked towards the door. It was a white painted house with brown shutters and a beautiful balcony which faced both the sunrise and the sunset. Now, I could understand that why Grace was so calm and composed. She literally had nature around her.

There was a deep silence inside the house, like no one was there, I pressed the door bell, and someone opened the door. She was Grace.

"Hi, how are you", I asked her.
"Atleast,you should tell me that you're gonna come",she asked me to get inside as it was windy outside.
She asked me to sit on the bed which was in front of the fire place. She came near me and sat on the chair with a book in her hand

"So, ready for Ball", I asked her,
She put down the book on the table and looked at me with a questionable gesture.
I was again freezed in front of her. With shivery hands, I picked up the box and placed it on her lap.

Initially, she looked at the box in a strange way, but after few minutes she said,"why this sudden gift?"

"Just a reminder that I'm always there for you", I replied as my mom advised me to do.

"One more request, please open it after I'll leave ", I said by holding her hands.

She laid her eyes down and said"Thanks ", she was shy and had tiny smile on her lips.

The door got slightly open and her mother entered in. I was confused that what should be my reaction, should I apologise for my arrival in her absence or just greet her, good evening.

"Aiden, meet mother Mary Lane, and mom, he is my Literature mate and Ball partner for tonight." Grace introduced us to each other. She was continuously staring at me like she's gonna eat me in next moment. After few seconds, she came near me and patted on my shoulder and smiled.

"God bless you, my child",she said.
She was so nice with me like my own mother.
"Drive safely, have a look at the sky", Grace said to me as lightning was striking down.

"Meet you at the ball", I replied.

While driving towards home, I was stuck in Grace's reaction for the gift that she didn't misunderstood me and accepted it with a smile.
I really loved my mom for her advice that made Grace happiest. But I also didn't knew what was in that box, what kind of dress it could be .

"Hey Wilson, you are still not ready, it's already 6:30" Kevin said while standing at the door of my room.
"Give me ten minutes" I said while closing the door.

I wore the maroon shirt, buttoned the cuffs with that shiny black blazer and pant. It was the time of Ball, so usually people had accessories but I wasn't used to that , so I just covered my wrist with a diamond watch that dad gifted me last year on my birthday.

Seriously, I was looking exactly like a classic movie hero. My mind was roaming around Grace that how she would look tonight.

"Aiden, the Ball is not next week, please hurry up",as always kevin was excited for party moves.

"I'm ready", I replied.

"You look so handsome", Kevin literally praised my efforts to look classy.

"Drive fast, I don't wanna delay", I said.

"Mr. Wilson wanna be on time for school event?"

"That sounds weird but good", Kevin said in an amusive manner and drove on the way.

*****************