Chapter 8: Tis all foretold

.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

Evening was fast approaching but caught no one by surprise. The setting sun already cast lines of pink and orange far and wide into the sky when Merlin appeared at the door of an old cottage. The air was cool, a smell of wet grass lingered. A straw roofed cabin, older than most humans, stood there at the edge of a forest, protected from any trespassers by vast green hills. A pair of goose ran through the yard as a sign that it was still inhabited.

It lay on the lands of Prydain, northeast of France and far away from any true civilisation. It isn't certain where the name Prydain came from, or if it was once its own kingdom, but you could still find locals who referred to it as such. Most of the lands had long unofficially belonged to king Stefan, and his father before him, but only by claim of word. The most eastern part of Prydain had been taken by the small kingdom of Llyr, who kept to themselves most of the time, refusing to trade or do business with anyone.

There was no inhabited castle, no town nor village. And if there had been, was it long gone. Only enchanted forests and their magical beings, that had called the place home for centuries now, stayed. But a few humans ever wandered through these thickets, and so was preferred by the creatures. Of course, there was also one old enchanter and his young apprentice.

" Well, I would never have guessed. It is you, my old friend !"

" Dallben, you do not appear a day over hundred."

The two men, both wise beyond understanding, shook hands merrily. Behind the wizard peeked Arthur, who seemed speechless by all the bottles and scrolls that lined the shelves and surfaces. An orange cat came to sniff at the boy. Archimedes, who sat on top of the boy's head, looked at it displeasingly.

" This is Arthur, he was guided to me by a prophecy, and I have decided to teach him." The enchanter gave him a nod for a greeting. " And you remember Archimedes, no?"

" Ah, yes. I could never forget."

The bird gave a nod of his own. He did not remember exactly who the other man was, but was not going to tell anyone that.

" I take it your journey was well."

" Oh yes, yes. We actually took a shortcut here, through a forest-"

" We landed in a bush!" Arthur exclaimed, stroking the cat, its fur coarse and long. Merlin sent a glare at the boy and Dallben chuckled.

" Perhaps I miscalculated a bit-"

" And we met a beautiful peasant girl with hair of gold."

" Oh, how interesting. Well, I would like you to meet Taran. My young apprentice."

A boy with autumn red hair stood from the dining table and bowed, the dagger he had been working on lay forgotten. He must have only been a few years older than Arthur himself, and not much taller.