Chapter 10: Dream a little dream of me

.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

Aurora had been basking in the fleeting sunlight shining in from the cracked windows, in the library's most secluded corner, when The Horned King appeared next to her. On her lap sat forgotten three books, stories about forbidden romances with handsome princes and beautiful princesses who meet in secret during the night and exchange letters or kisses. They had been read from front to back, but now the young woman was plainly enjoying the golden rays that made her skin warm and hair glow. The man's suffocating presence made its way towards the maiden at a leisurely pace, hands neatly placed behind his back and head somewhat bowed forward.

When she glanced up and took notice of him, you'd have sworn his advances halted for a mere moment. The way her diamond eyes glimmered with so much joy, and her lips curved into a pleasant smile, by him just joining her made the man's chest ache. It made some of his plans stronger, and some that much more difficult.

" My lord." Aurora greeted, polite as ever. "Enjoying the sunset? Oh, it's simply lovely from up here, and seemingly rare for I have not seen a proper one in days now."

The man wasted no time in handing the princess a box, no bigger than a teacup. It was wrapped in sapphire-coloured cotton and tied with a red ribbon.

She looked at it, curious. It did not sound when shook, it did not weigh when lifted, it was a true mystery.

" A blessed birthday." He wished, tone not giving up the box's contents.

She began to open the wraps, peeling and folding them neatly away in order to not rip anything.

" Although I believe myself to be days late. My apologies."

" No harm done, I was not expecting you to remember. A lot has happened in a very short time, and you have had to make all sorts of accommodations for me. Though I must admit, I am quite flattered."

She got it open to reveal a delicate chain and hanging from it a golden pendant. In the centre is laid a red stone. It was long enough to reach past her collarbone. Her immediate reaction was to get up, strands of hair flying over her shoulder when she turned her head to look up at the man. She held the gift back towards him.

" I cannot accept this, it is much too grand! I know you must have other such jewels, by the dozens I'm sure, but that does not mean you should give one of them to me. And besides I have not done a thing to deserve this--" Her protests were shut down when the man took the piece of jewellery with just two fingers and lifted it up. He stood behind her, and, while moving her hair to one side and out of the way, placed it around her neck.

" It belongs to you, I shan't take it back. I chose this specifically for this very purpose and hope it is to your liking. Admittedly, its beauty pales in comparison to you."

Even after clasping the piece shut, his fingers lingered on the warm skin of her exposed upper back. The dress she had chosen to wear had to have been repurposed from something else, because otherwise it would be deemed to be much too inappropriate. Not only was the fabric cut just above the shoulder blades, giving a good glimpse of the skin meant to be covered, but the skirt was also shorter than what he had grown accustomed to ladies wearing. It showed her petite ankles, and even the calves as well.