Chapter 9: Behold the truth

.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

At last a beginning of a new day of a new season arrives and there is anticipation in the air. Summer is ending, not today and not tomorrow, but soon. The warmth of sunny days are slowly making way to winters biting cold. The clouds in the sky let no light past them, even as the day went on, but there was no drop of rain either. On most days like this, the castle would echo with laughter, banter, and chants as the barbarians celebrated their successful days out raiding and pillaging. The sound of lutes could, if the time was just right, be heard even from one side of the fortress to another.

Aurora looked outside, humming to herself as she evaluated the day ahead. She had woken up from her slumber only to find breakfast on the table and the king nowhere to be seen. She had hoped he would stay with her and talk, but then again, he was a king and was surely busy. 

So she ate alone, savouring the taste of honey in her tea. She looked back on the time they had sat under that old chestnut-tree, drinking dandelion tea and just, talked like old friends. She wished for those times to return.

The princess walked to a side table where a steaming ewer of water was awaiting. She poured some out into a tiny porcelain washtub intending on cleaning herself up before heading for the library. Rose brought her cupped hands to her face and let the remaining sleep get washed away from her eyes.

When she raised her head again, the girl saw her image reflected in the mirror, and for a short moment could have sworn it looked different. Water dripped down her chin and on to her dress when she leaned in closer. It almost seemed like her cheeks were hallower, skin pale and lips a sickly shade of blue. There was no rouge on her cheeks or shine in her hair, almost like she were dead... 

Briar rubbed her eyes in a fright, then looked at the reflection again. It appeared normal, no longer was there a shadow of death under her eyes. Everything was as it was supposed to.

She heard a ruckus somewhere. There were several bangs, a loud screech and then she heard footsteps. They were coming closer to her door, so out of instinct, she hid behind the bedcurtain. There were three loud knocks, and then the door opened. She holds her breath.

But it is just the king. He shut the door and took a few steps in, his long robes dragging behind, as he calmly examined the room. When she came out of hiding, could he be seen visibly relax, shoulders lowering and hands unclenching.

" Your majesty? Is everything alright ?" She voiced her concern.

The man said nothing, only reaching to touch her golden locks. The smooth strand of hair slipped from between his fingers, and he relished in the softness. He wondered if the shiny hair would still look as good covered with silk and decorated in pearls and diamonds. It was the custom for wedded women to wear a veil to show their marital and social status, though if she were to ever become his queen, he would forbit her from covering it.

" Do not look so down, my lord. I was only behind the curtain. I have not gone anywhere."

He kept silent, so Aurora took his hand into hers, as if trying to show him that she was still present. The girl asked again.

" There must be a reason for you to have come here ?"