Chapter 7: Gridball Game

As you were making breakfast one summer morning, you heard a knock on the door.

"Hey, (y/n)!" Shane smiled as you opened the door. "Uh...so I got two tickets to the tunnelers game tonight. If you want to come, meet me at the bus stop around 5pm."

"Sounds great, Shane, I'll be there!" You replied, smiling and giving him a soft kiss on the cheek. You could see Shane blush before he turned to leave. "See you there, then."

~

You arrived at the bus stop at 5pm, in time to see Alex step onto the bus. Shane stood by the bus door, anxiously looking around. When he spotted you, relief immediately flooded his face and he met you halfway.

"Hey, there you are! I almost thought you weren't coming. We should get going." Shane said.

"It's so easy to lose track of time on the farm but I wouldn't miss this for the world." You explained as you got on the bus after Pam and Gus. You sat together near the front of the bus on the opposite side to Gus and Alex. Shane held your hand as you watched the emerald green hills rush by.

"We're almost there... Pre-game nerves," he gulped, his leg bouncing with anxiety.

"The tunnelers are sure to win," You reassured him.

~

You and Shane sat on one of the front rows on the upper balcony. Well, actually you stood most of the time. You'd never seen a tunnelers game before so Shane began animatedly explaining the rules and the players, pointing at different players and explaining their roles. You didn't understand half of it but you loved hearing him talk passionately about the things he loved. At half time, he excused himself and came back with some food.

"Hey, I got us some snacks," he handed you a cookie and you accepted, thanking him. You devoured it quickly, Shane laughing.

"Hey, I've been meaning to say," he said, taking your hand in his. "Thank you for sticking with me through everything: my anxiety, depression, you know. My journey hasn't and still won't be an easy one but you've been a really good friend to me."

"Anyway, it's your first Gridball game," He continued. "So, what do you think?"

"It's pretty noisy, actually. It makes me appreciate how peaceful it is back home." You replied, gazing up at him.

"Yeah, I guess that makes sense. You did move away from the city, after all. Me? I get bored with Pelican Town sometimes. But I like that you're different; we balance each other out."

"Oh shit, the tunnelers are on the attack!" Shane suddenly shouted. Then-

"GOOOAAAALLL!!!!!!!" The whole stadium seemed to roar as Shane pumped his fists in the air, shouting at the top of his lungs. He turned to you, grabbing your face and kissing you passionately, stubble tickling your face. You were so surprised, your eyes widened and you stood there as he kissed you. Before you could reciprocate, he suddenly pulled away.

"Oh, I'm sorry, I got a bit carried away-"

You grabbed his hoodie and yanked him towards you as you kissed him back just as passionately. He looked just as shocked as you had moments ago, but quickly melted into you, holding you tightly around the waist. He fucking loved you, his strong, loving girlfriend. You and him kissed deeply, no shame at all in front of all these strangers.

"Yes!!!! Woooooo!!!" You heard a familiar voice shout. You and Shane broke your kiss and turned around to see Alex and Gus cheering for you guys. You both blushed deeply for a moment and turned to face each other again. Just the sight of his face had you kissing him deeply again.