Chapter 7 - Looming Guilt

REVISED

• • •

The next morning was the same as the ones before. You walked to school, got there, dodged any possibility of shopping carts nearby, and headed straight to class. You attempted to shut out any remnant thoughts from the previous night, trying to focus more on the work you'd completed instead.

As you approached the classroom, you couldn't help but feel a sense of dread. You knew that you would have to face the situation sooner or later, and it was better to rip the bandaid off and get it over with.

Before opening the door, you let out a quiet sigh and finally pushed it open. The sight that greeted you made your stomach turn. Vienna was sitting close to Jude, her fingers running through his blonde hair as she laughed at something he had just said. The intimacy of their interaction grew increasingly sickening to you with each passing second.

As soon as you entered the classroom, your eyes were drawn towards Jude. The way he sat, his demeanor, everything about him seemed to stand out. You couldn't tell if that was just because of what happened yesterday, or if it was because he was the first person you'd laid eyes on.

You began walking towards the back of the room, where your seat was. You hastily walked past Jude's desk, but his voice made you stop in your tracks.

"Was your door unlocked or was it a false call?" he asked, looking up at you from his seat. Your gaze darted toward him after he'd stopped you, "Oh—it was locked, I guess I just overthought it."

Jude gave you a subtle nod as the class began to fill up. Before he could say anything else, you continued walking to your desk, setting your stuff down and getting comfortable for a long lesson. Then, you noticed Tokoyami walking over to your desk to apologize for last night.

"Oh hey, Tokoyami," you put on a small smile, greeting him. Seeing his face after that long night felt like a breath of fresh air, a welcome refresher amid the lingering tension and fatigue.

Tokoyami gave you a friendly expression, greeting you. "Hello, (Y/N). I just wanted to apologize for not having received your message earlier last night. I was busy training, so I didn't have my phone in hand."

"It's no big deal, I understand." you brushed off his apology, not finding it to be a big deal.

"Good to know. Would you like to eat lunch with me and a few of my friends today?"

You gave him a slightly surprised look, nodding out of excitement. "Sure!"

He nodded and returned to his desk as Aizawa walked in, taking his usual position at the front of the class to announce the daily agenda.

"Good morning. To put it straight—today, we'll be rock climbing." his voice sounded groggy and raspy, indicating that he'd probably just woken up.

Upon his announcement, the room burst into a flurry of chatter. Excitement permeated the air as everyone eagerly anticipated the start of in-school training. The energy in the room was palpable and chatter filled the brim of the room.

Jirou turned to you, "Oh boy this is gonna be a mess, I just know it.."

"How so?" you asked.

"Our class? Rock climbing? Please."

Aizawa then slammed his hand down on the table with the same force he had used yesterday. It seemed to be the only way to get the class to quiet down at this point.

He quickly resumed explaining, fully aware that the room would soon fill with chatter once he mentioned what was coming next.

"You'll need a partner for this, as they will be the one controlling the rope in case you fall."