Chapter 1

The fluorescent lights weren't turned on a bright, sunny afternoon, throwing a sterile glow across Mrs. Aurora Ledesma's classroom. It was Catch-up Friday, and the air was thick with expectation as Grade 7 students shuffled into their seats. Pacaldo, a public school teacher, picked up a chalk and pressed his two fingers against the open laptop screen, which displayed a paragraph ready to be unleashed. The class greeted him with a chorus of "Good afternoon, Sir Pakula!" that echoed off the weathered desks. Pacaldo, ever-diligent, examined the attendance chart, ensuring that each surname was recorded before the lesson began.

Pacaldo was ready to begin his meticulously constructed reading comprehension practice when a murmur halted the flow. Mrs. Aurora Ledesma, the class adviser, spoke with a sense of urgency. "Um, Sir Pacaldo," she said, "may I have a word? We have a conference at 3:00 PM for the top students of the 3rd Quarter."

Pacaldo's expression showed a hint of surprise. His normal schedule required a 3:15 PM dismissal. "Huh?" he said, his voice tinged with bewilderment. "Did I say 3:15 PM? I thought that was my end time."

Aurora gave a faint, sorry smile. "Yes, sir, that's the school's usual end time. But today, we need to adjust. The conference starts at 3:00 PM sharp."

Pacaldo nodded curtly. "Okay, ma'am," he acknowledged. "Thank you for informing me." He silently adjusted his lesson plan to accommodate the new time limitation. The dimming of the fluorescent lights appeared to intensify, a quiet countdown to the impending change in routine.

Ballpoint pens scratched over the piece of paper, creating a symphony of rustling as Pacaldo's Grade 7 classmates faithfully copied the section into their notebooks. However, a faint hum of chatter threatened to disturb the quiet atmosphere. The music system outside played moderately, prompting the students to continue chatting. Pacaldo, a firm believer in concentrated learning, cast a harsh look around the room, his lips forming a silent "Quiet!" - a well-known demand in his classroom.

Silence returned, interrupted only by the rhythmic scratching. Pacaldo urged the students to read once they had faithfully copied the passage. They deciphered the inscription word for word, bending their heads low. Just as he was about to begin his scheduled quiz, a piercing chime pierced the room: the clock struck 3:00 PM.

Pacaldo's internal clock changed gears. The planned quiz would have to wait. He canceled it with resignation, preferring a straightforward dismissal. "Goodbye, class," he said, his voice full of both disappointment and compassion.

A chorus of "Goodbye, Sir Pakula!" filled the room, with the students adding a sincere "Thank you for teaching us!" and a loud "Mabuhay!" Pacaldo waved them off, a bittersweet farewell to the disrupted session, replaced by the promise of a well-deserved Friday break.

Pacaldo sighed and shut down his laptop, the familiar buzz fading into silence. Two enthusiastic students appeared by his side. Pacaldo's plea was understood silently; he didn't need to speak up. Danny, a tall child with a curtain of black hair, picked up the box of chalk, while Kalyan, a boy with sparkling eyes and a mischievous grin, grabbed the laptop charger. Pacaldo, like a seasoned conductor, led the way, his Dell laptop safely in his arm.

A chorus of "Okay, sir!" erupted, with Danny interjecting, "Is it the one with crayons, sir?" Kalyan said, "Yes, sir, the colonization map of Southeast Asia, where we'll be coloring the colonized ones and not the uncolonized ones."

Pacaldo chuckled, amusement in his eyes. "Excellent, see you next time." After exchanging farewells, the students left Pacaldo alone with his thoughts. He packed his laptop away, the familiar weight of his bag providing comfort. A rush of exhaustion swept over him. Leaving the classroom, he sought safety in the administration office, a haven where a tired teacher could steal a few precious moments of relaxation.