Chapter 5

The fluorescent lights were switched off in Mike Padua's classroom, as the hot afternoon sun cast sterile white light all over the empty desks. Pacaldo was sitting on a monobloc chair, gripping his phone in frustration. The video call with his co-teacher, Inayah got disconnected due to a poor signal. He sighed, and his sound echoed around the quiet room. 

This was not the first time this had happened. Mike's classroom is located in a remote area, adjacent to the classrooms of Mrs. Joycilyn Tabaranza, a newly appointed Filipino teacher, and Mrs. Arielita Balarama (to be revealed who she is), a MAPEH teacher. Bulacan National High School is known for its poor reception. Pacaldo shrugged and decided it was time to change his location.

He pocketed his smartphone with Lakers stickers and walked out of the classroom, the familiar hallways of the school greeting him. His goal was the gymnasium, a vast open place known for its reliable data connection. As he moved through the crowded corridors, he couldn't help but think about Inayah.

She had only recently formally transferred to a new school in Paombong, closer to her house. The Division Office had granted her request, and while Pacaldo missed her presence in class, he understood her need to be closer to her family.

Pacaldo returned to the gymnasium and found a quiet area to reconnect with Inayah. Her face emerged on the phone screen, with a relieved smile replacing her previous pout. She pelted him with questions about the new teachers, Mutiara, Ric, Archer, and Joycilyn, who were newly hired by Principal Salatandre.

Pacaldo recalled the introductions and staff meeting, describing each new teacher with a mix of laughter and observation. He could tell Inayah was genuinely interested in the new dynamics at school. Inayah regretted not meeting them in person and instead sent them a message congratulating the newly appointed teachers.

However, as their conversation progressed, Pacaldo detected a subtle change in Inayah's manner. Her initial delight faded to a sense of tension. She told him about her new advisory class, which was proving to be difficult due to their high activity level. Pacaldo, the ever-supportive colleague, provided guidance and words of encouragement.

By the time their call ended, the afternoon sun had begun to cast deep shadows across the gymnasium floor. Pacaldo finished the talk by promising to keep her up to date on school activities. As he pocketed his phone, a wave of bittersweet nostalgia flooded over him. He missed working with Inayah, but he was pleased that she was settling into her new school.

Pacaldo enters Mike Padua's classroom with the door wide open, the familiar buzz of unlit fluorescent lights, and the murmur of faraway students washing over him. He sank back into his chair at his desk, which was carefully placed near Mike's.

"Ma'am Inayah on a video call, sir Pacaldo?" Mike queried, his tone tinged with curiosity.

Pacaldo nodded, a tired look in his eyes. "Yeah, sir, she called this afternoon, sir. She's officially settled in Paombong now."

Mike hummed in a quiet, meditative tone. "Paombong, huh? Must be nice to be closer to family."

Pacaldo could not help but agree. He'd missed Inayah's presence in class, her contagious excitement a continual source of motivation. But the long drive from Paombong had always been inconvenient, and he understood her decision to transfer to a school closer to home.

"Though," Pacaldo said, his voice lowering to a low mutter, "it appears even their school is suffering from the same data connection issues."

Mike chuckled knowingly. "Exactly your point, sir. Welcome to the joys of rural education. Most classrooms here are data black holes unless you have a personal modem installed."