Chapter 10

The afternoon sun shone through the dusty windows of the faculty room, creating long shadows on the aged desks and full inboxes. The typical clamor of teacher banter filled the air, accompanied by the repetitive tapping of keyboards and the rustle of papers. But when Priyanka stormed through the door, the conversation came to a halt.

"Wait, wait, wait!" Priyanka exclaimed, her voice full of faux outrage. "There's news I'm missing here! What are you all gossiping about now?"

Michelle, the school's MAPEH and Filipino instructor, moved the stack of papers in the center of the table towards Priyanka, her eyes wicked.

Priyanka's elegantly arched eyebrows rose in astonishment. "Wedding invitation? I haven't received anything yet. Can I borrow one to see what the fuss is all about?"

Aurora, the always-organized general science teacher, rummaged in her luggage and proudly produced an extra invitation. "Ah, here you go!" she exclaimed, passing it over to Priyanka.

Priyanka read the invitation, her brow furrowing with confusion. She began to read out loud, "Akad Nikah of Mutiara 'Mutia' Sanielle Ratri and Ricardinus 'Ric' Montoya. The month of May at Golden Elephant Hotel located at Guiguinto, Bulacan."

"An Akad Nikah ceremony?" she mumbled. "What's that?"

Joycilyn, the resident Filipino teacher, leaned in with a knowing smile. "A Muslim wedding ceremony, Ma'am Priya," she clarified. "Didn't Ric mention it? Where were you hiding yesterday?"

Priyanka grimaced slightly. "Oh! I completely missed that announcement. My son fell ill, so I had to take a sudden leave of absence."

Arielita, the ever-empathetic MAPEH teacher, responded with a sympathetic nod. "Ah, that's why we didn't see you. But anyway, speaking of the wedding, we were just discussing..." her voice dropped to a conspiratorial whisper, "...what to wear for Sir Ric's wedding!"

The people at the gathering let out a gasp together, while Michelle screamed playfully. "Wait a minute," she said with a teasing look in her eyes. "Aren't I supposed to be the most beautiful one here? I'm more beautiful than the bride."

Arielita broke up laughing. "Michelle? You always know how to lighten the mood!"

Priyanka chuckled as she finally caught up on the chat. "Alright," she said, waving her hand dismissively. "So, what's the big dilemma? Are we expected to wear uniforms?"

Aurora, the fashionista, shook her head emphatically. "Oh no, Ma'am Priya! We need to look stunning, absolutely gorgeous! But there's a catch..." She hesitated, creating tension.

"A catch?" Priyanka asked, enthralled as she took her seat with them.

"We have to wear a dupatta," Aurora explained.

The word hung in the air, eliciting a chorus of bewildered expressions.

"Huh? A dupatta?" Joycilyn repeated, her brow puzzled.

"What's that?" Michelle inquired, her interest peaked.

Arielita, ever the resourceful one, provided a simple explanation. "Think of it like a... uh... what do you call it? Like something Mama Mary wears on her head?"

Priyanka's eyes widened with awareness. "Ah, so it's like a head covering for special occasions?"

Michelle's face lightened up. "Like what we wear in church during Holy Week!"

The room exploded in a whirlwind of eager conversation. The initial concern about the dress code had turned into a challenge, an opportunity for the girls to bond and show off their sense of style. With the wedding approaching, the staff lounge was alive with new energy, a witness to the camaraderie that had grown within the school's walls.