Chapter 11

The reverberations of the triumphant akad nikah ceremony subsided, and the air was filled with happy congratulations. Bulacan National High School faculty members surrounded Mutiara and Ric, the newlyweds, with good wishes and tender hugs while they were resplendent in their finest apparel.

Michelle went up to Mutiara first, a dazzling smile spreading across her lips. "Congratulations on the wedding!" she remarked with sincere sincerity in her voice. Although she had secretly had a slight crush on Ric, she felt an odd sense of calm in her heart as she watched him happily spend his time with Mutiara. She had moved on, her love replaced by a contented silence between the two of them.

Another teacher, Arielita, was standing close by, pulling at the dupatta that hung prettily over her evening gown. "These are just an eyesore," she said, her tone somewhat amused. "These things are beautiful, but keeping them on my head all night might be a challenge."

Aurora laughed, the eternal optimist. "Don't worry," she told her friend. "We'll figure something out. Besides, you look stunning! The dupatta just adds a touch of elegance."

Officially a married man now, Ric was shaking hands with the male guests across the room. As he walked over to Michelle, a broad smile appeared on his face. "Thank you so much for coming, Michelle! It means a lot."

Ric moved on to welcome the other male guests as the well-wishes continued. At last, he was standing face to face with Pacaldo, Patricio, and Krishna.

Krishna shook hands firmly and smiled warmly. He said, "Congratulations, Ric," with genuine emotion in his voice. Pacaldo agreed, his customary good humor tinged with a trace of subtle observation.

Ever the restrained one, Patricio took a step forward. His demeanor was polished and he gave a solid handshake. Years of meticulously cultivated calmness concealed the agony inside him. The recent ceremony had served as a painful reminder of his unfulfilled affections for Krishna, like a new cut. Nevertheless, he was able to provide a courteous salutation, his tone concealing the emotional fervor brewing beneath the surface.

Ignoring the underlying feelings, Ric shifted his gaze between the two attractive brothers. He said, "Wow, Pacaldo," sounding a little surprised. "I never knew you had a twin brother! Thanks for coming, Patricio. It's a pleasure to finally meet you."

Patricio acknowledged Krishna with a nod and in a formal tone, he said, "The pleasure is all mine." He knew that he couldn't stay any longer as looking at Krishna would cause him pain every time. Patricio made an excuse to visit the restroom and sneaked out of the joyous crowd. However, he got stopped on his way out when Pacaldo called him.

Pacaldo asked Patricio, "Where are you going, brother?"

Patricio responded, "Um, I'm going to the restroom, brother. I'll be back in a moment. Don't worry."

Pacaldo grinned and said, "Okay, okay. You'll be back here."

Krishna felt a twinge of sorrow for his brother as he watched Patricio fade into the throng. He recognized the unspoken love and the silent battle Patricio was going through. However, Krishna was also entangled in his desires. He glanced at Pacaldo, a bittersweet affection squeezing in his heart. The happy tune of the wedding celebrations continued, but Krishna felt oddly empty inside. The weight of his unsaid affections for Pacaldo kept him back, a continual reminder of the love he could never truly have. He ached to be a part of it all, to celebrate fully.

The clean white walls of the men's restroom provided no respite for Patricio. He stumbled inside, the cheers and laughing from the reception hall fading to a dull roar as the door snapped shut. Collapsing against the cool surface of the sink, he finally let go of the dam he'd been holding back. As he looked in the mirror, hot tears flowed down his face.