Chapter 20: THE LONGEST ENDING

The Pacific Ocean Resort lobby was a whirl of activity. The proprietor, Gautham Banaag, moved with well-honed comfort, his commanding voice a refreshing diversion from the animated banter of the teachers. Principal Salatandre, who has always been the leader, completed the reservation process with Gautaham.

Gautham exclaimed, "No need to worry about a thing, Principal," his smile was as broad as the ocean that extended behind the resort. "We'll ensure everyone gets the room they desire. Consider everything here pre-paid – a token of our appreciation for being our inaugural guests."

Beside them, Donny, the incomparably effective cabin manager, and his colleagues materialized, prepared to take care of any luggage issues and respond to any inquiries. The entire booking procedure took almost an hour, including room allocations and important conversations.

With the last details finalized, Priyanka and her son Aries approached Gautham, with Priyanka nervously holding her hand.

Priyanka asked, her voice tinged with apprehensive interest, "Um, Mr. Banaag, is it?"

Gautham pivoted, a grin easing across his features upon acknowledging her. "Priyanka! Welcome to my little paradise. I trust you and Aries will have a wonderful time here."

With surprise, Priyanka's eyes grew wide. With a note of wonder in her voice, she exclaimed, "I never expected you to be the owner of this... this magnificent resort! It's truly breathtaking."

Gautham's lips curled into a pleasant smile. With a reply that only he could have comprehended, he said, "Thank you, Priyanka. And it's a pleasure to see you again."

With a look of surprise, Aries pulled on his mother's sleeve. His voice scarcely audible above a whisper, "Mom, is he the owner of the beach and the resort?" he said.

Beside him, Priyanka bent down and delicately tucked a stray hair behind his ear. She responded, "Yes, honey, he is," keeping her eyes briefly on Gautham.

There was an aura of unsaid recognition from a previous encounter between Gautham and Priyanka. The resort hushed around them, unaware of the rumblings of a past existence rising in the minds of its recent arrivals. Beneath the golden glow of the Pacific sun, secrets and long-forgotten memories awaited discovery as the faculty occupied their chambers.

However, the room had a stunning view of the boundless ocean while the sun was sinking, bathing it in golden light. The two figures, Krishna and Pacaldo, were entangled as they sat on the edge of the soft bed, staring out to sea, where the sky and the sea united in a passionate embrace. There was an eerie silence that was only broken by the waves' steady whisper.

Krishna leaned in closer, his touch on Pacaldo's arm as light as a feather. "This place feels like a fresh start, doesn't it?" he muttered, his voice laced with melancholy longing.

Pacaldo gave Krishna a comforting squeeze on his hand. He repeated, "A new beginning," his voice weighted with subdued hope. "We've faced a lot of storms, haven't we? But we've weathered them all, together."

An unspoken truth ached in Krishna's heart. Yes, there had been storms there. Behind closed doors, they battled infidelity, unspoken desires, and the never-ending struggle to save their marriage. Nevertheless, he had remained devoted to Pacaldo despite everything, his need for routine driving him on.

Krishna murmured, "I love you, Pacaldo," his mouth puckering from the taste of ashes. It was a fact; their love had blossomed throughout the years of their friendship. However, Pacaldo's twin brother Patricio was the object of a deeper, more intense need that warped their love for one another.

With outstretched hands, Pacaldo traced a soft line across Krishna's cheek. He answered, "And I love you," with a passion in his voice that caused Krishna's insides to churn with shame. "This trip... it's a chance to forget about the troubles, to focus on us, to build a new foundation for our future."