Chapter 18

Krishna squeezed Pacaldo's hand in the chilly glow of the moon, in the silent intimacy of their shared bed. He whispered, "I love you very much, my honey," in an earnest tone that it was painful to hear himself say it. "Until forever."

Ever the obedient husband, Pacaldo smiled, though it fell short of his eyes. Suspecting his brother's remarks on the day's events and the impending trip, he replied dutifully, the weight of unsaid inquiries settling hard in his gut.

Their nighttime routine was usually warm, but an aura of unsaid tension crackled. Despite being a welcoming haven most nights, sleep remained obstinately elusive. "Let's sleep?" proposed Krishna, who could take no more stillness.

Pacaldo just nodded, recognizing the underlying conflict. "All right, let's go to bed together," he said, his straightforward words bearing the weight of a thousand unsaid fears.

The sky was painted orange and gold by the morning sun, they had no idea of the storm that was building beneath the surface of their relationship. Krishna jumped as his phone called. He was already at the building site, his hard hat casting a shadow over his determined expression. Patricio was the one.

Patricio's voice roared through the receiver, "Krishna," his tone laced with a fake cheer. "How's the conquering of buildings going today?"

Even over the phone, Krishna's attempted smile was strained. "The typical routine, Patricio," he answered. "But hey, at least it pays the bills, right?"

Krishna paused, a glint of uneasiness passing over his features. "Lunch, huh? I appreciate it, but things are pretty busy here, especially on the theatre-cultural center project. We're in the final stages of construction, and there are a lot of details that need my attention."

"Busy or not," Patricio said with a slightly stern tone, "you deserve a break. Besides, it's been a while since we've caught up over lunch. Remember that new restaurant we tried in Vista Mall, Cabalen? That sizzling sisig was something else. I was craving it again this morning, and I figured you might be too. How about we make it a double date this time? My treat, of course. Catching up with my brother – wouldn't want to be a neglectful one."

Krishna flinched. The continual threat to the fragile equilibrium of their lives was the reminder of their deceptive relationship, which hung heavily in the air.

"Actually," he said in an attempt to deflect, "Pacaldo mentioned to me that the principal was planning a little outing with his co-teachers after graduation. A retreat to some resort in San Jose del Monte, I believe. Then, Pacaldo told me that I'll be going with him."

"Oh?" Patricio asked, his voice becoming slightly more assertive. "Is that so? Well, it sounds unfair for the two of us. With all this work and no breaks, maybe I should tag along too. To make sure you don't get overworked, of course."

Krishna's knuckles whitened as his grasp tightened around the phone. It was a sure thing that Patricio, his long-time romantic partner, would accompany him and Pacaldo on their getaway. However, he gave in to Patricio's persistent nagging.

He finally gave up and said, "Sure," but the word tasted terrible. "Maybe it would be good for the three of us to spend some time together."

With a triumphant laugh, Patricio let out. "Excellent! Consider it a done deal then. See you at your usual spot at noon."

With a sick feeling in his stomach, Krishna hung up. What had seemed like a peaceful getaway with Pacaldo had turned into a possible minefield. The idea of negotiating the upcoming days and balancing his affection for both of his brothers cast a pall over the morning sun's warmth. He grumbled, "What kind of fool am I doing?" His thoughts were constantly reminded of the unfeasible situation he had created by the sight of Pacaldo's reassuring grin and Patricio's protective look.