Chapter 12

The weight of his confession fell heavy on Patricio's shoulders. Dr. Chalisa's first amazement soon became a professional concern that sent shivers down his spine.

"Patricio," she said with a serious tone. "I need you to understand the gravity of this situation. You know what I'm telling you: having a relationship with someone married to your brother can be damaging, not just personally, but professionally as well."

Her comments hit a deep chord with him. Images of newspaper headlines and public scandals rushed across his consciousness. He hadn't considered the potential consequences, how this secret could taint his reputation as a doctor, a man entrusted with the health of others.

"Think about it," Dr. Chalisa said, her voice tinged with empathy despite the severe tone. "How often do we see legal families torn apart because of affairs? Mistresses and concubines wreaking havoc on innocent lives."

Patricio flinched at the harsh words. He wasn't some deceitful mistress, as he desperately sought to persuade himself. Their forbidden love had blossomed in the quiet corners of their hearts, a secret they'd fostered with the naive confidence that it would not harm anyone. But Dr. Chalisa's words served as a harsh reminder of the potential ramifications, the domino effect that a single blunder could set off.

"I know, I know," he whispered, a hint of shame in his eyes. "It wasn't supposed to happen. We're just... we're just connected."

"Connection is important, doc." The doctor said, "But so are boundaries. You, of all people, understand the importance of ethics in your profession. Don't let this cloud your judgment."

A rush of defensiveness swept over him. "I'm not some reckless fool, Doc Chalisa," he argued. "I'll be careful. We'll be careful." The words sounded empty in his ears. How careful could they be when their love was based on secrecy and forbidden desires?

Dr. Chalisa's tone softened when she recognized the struggle in his eyes. "Look," she continued in a soft but firm voice, "I'm not here to judge you. But I am your friend and co-worker here in this hospital, and I must warn you. This path you're on right now... it's fraught with danger."

Patricio hung his head, the weight of her words bearing down on him. Shame gnawed at him, leaving a harsh aftertaste after the bliss of his secret love. "Please, Chalisa," he begged, his voice strained. "Promise me you won't tell anyone. This stays between us."

Dr. Chalisa hesitated, the weight of his secret and the potential implications bearing down on her shoulders. But looking into his troubled eyes, she saw a guy caught up in a web of his desires, not a malicious cheat. "Alright, Dr. Patricio," she finally agreed. "Your secret is safe with me. But you need to tread carefully. For your sake, and everyone involved."

Patricio's eyes flickered with thanks and a gnawing mistrust. He knew Dr. Chalisa was correct. He was playing a hazardous game, one that may destroy lives and leave him with only remorse. However, the idea of letting Krishna go, of quenching the flame that burned so brightly within him, was terrible. As he hung up the phone, he was confronted with a harsh reality: his forbidden love for Krishna was a sweet poison, and he wasn't sure he had the strength to resist its attraction.

The perfume of freshly made coffee and warm pastries filled the air as Pacaldo approached Le Café de Paris, a two-story Parisian-themed coffee shop in the heart of Malolos. It served as both a coffee shop and a bakery, providing a delightful respite from the hustle and bustle of the city streets. The air was filled with the wonderful aroma of croissants, pain au chocolat, and a variety of other delectable sweets, and the walls were decorated in charming Parisian-inspired style. Upstairs, a pleasant loft area with velvet sofas and antique lighting beckoned those wanting a more personal atmosphere.