Chapter 12

𝘞𝘦 𝘩𝘢𝘷𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘥𝘰 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘣𝘦𝘴𝘵 𝘸𝘦 𝘤𝘢𝘯. 𝘛𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘪𝘴 𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘴𝘢𝘤𝘳𝘦𝘥 𝘩𝘶𝘮𝘢𝘯 𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘱𝘰𝘯𝘴𝘪𝘣𝘪𝘭𝘪𝘵𝘺.
—𝘈𝘭𝘣𝘦𝘳𝘵 𝘌𝘪𝘯𝘴𝘵𝘦𝘪𝘯

𝗟𝗔𝗡𝗔

I won’t lie and say it’s not hypocritical to hope he catches the sicko who raped and killed all these women. It’s hypocritical because I’m also hoping he never catches me for torturing and killing a string of men.

But it also feels good to listen to him animatedly tell someone thisamazing new lead. I’m worried and shocked when he tells Hadley it’s me who inspired this new lead. He shouldn’t tell them he let his 𝘨𝘪𝘳𝘭 give him that info on a case I was never supposed to see.

Maybe the fact he called me 𝘩𝘪𝘴 anything has the butterflies stirring.
It’s definitely something. The fact he sounds proud of me also makes me
feel…𝘨𝘰𝘰𝘥. That word again.

My phone rings as he continues to talk to someone else, and I head outside to answer it when I see it’s Jake. My eyes stay on the window, keeping up with Logan.

“Hey. Any luck?”

“Lots of luck. I hate rushing this date the way we’re going to, but I’m going to help you on these.”

My eyebrows go up in surprise.

“Like in person? You’re going to do this too?”

“Just this once, and only for the securing part.”

“No. You can’t. You threw up when I tried to give you details, Jake.”

“You have no idea how much I wish I had your ability to kill without hesitance,” he says quietly, an edge to his tone.

“But you don’t,” I remind him, still watching to make sure Logan can’t overhear me.

“Doesn’t matter. I can’t risk you taking on something like this alone.”

“I can’t talk about this right now,” I say on almost a whisper when I see Logan hanging up his phone and running a hand through his hair.

“Shit. You’re with him? That’s still a discussion we need to have.”

“I moved my murder room in that secret room you built me years ago.”

“You think that’s enough to keep a profiler from figuring out you’re slowly killing off a list of people?” he asks dryly.

I heave out a heavy breath as I continue to watch Logan through the window. He looks around, then moves to grab a glass.

“You know how it’s easy for me to do what I do?”

“Because of what they did to you two,” he says, his voice barely above a broken whisper.

“No, Jake. It’s because there’s nothing but hatred inside of me that’s been driving me since I was able to do something other than curl in a corner in fear of them finding me again. I never thought anything else would drive me. I thought after this was over…I had nothing to look forward to after I killed them all. Now… Now there’s hope. I never realized the power of hope until he suddenly appeared in my life as though the universe was giving me a gift at the wrong time.”