Chapter 8

𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘢𝘯𝘨𝘦𝘳 𝘳𝘪𝘴𝘦𝘴, 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘰𝘧 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘤𝘰𝘯𝘴𝘦𝘲𝘶𝘦𝘯𝘤𝘦𝘴.
- 𝘊𝘰𝘯𝘧𝘶𝘤𝘪𝘶𝘴

𝗟𝗔𝗡𝗔

Harsh. Oblivious. Arrogant.

Three words I never thought I’d use to describe the man before me.

Unfairly confining me to my house, while not giving me the same option of knowing he’s safe… I can’t even put into words how pissed off I am.

“You don’t even take the time to fire off a text that you’re okay,” I go on, keeping my tone even, refusing to show too much emotion.

I don’t bleed for the world anymore.
He saw more than anyone else, and he didn’t bother to care when it mattered the most.

“Lana, I get that you’re pissed, but you can’t be here,” he says, his voice softening.

“I see that,” I retort tightly, taking a step back. “Sorry I cared. It won’t happen again.”

Tacky and juvenile as that sounds, it’s a bitter girl’s prerogative right now.

I turn and start walking away, but he follows, grabbing my arm. I rip it free from his grip.

“You don’t understand,” he whispers, looking over at a camera. “He could be watching. We don’t know what he’s capable of right now, and his past is mostly a mystery.”

“You put me in a bubble, and I gave you peace of mind. You cared. I’d do anything to ease your mind so that you didn’t worry.” I swallow down the knot in my throat, refusing to get emotional, disallowing my weakness or vulnerability to shine. “I worry too, Logan. Duke got the call your team was hit, and you were all at the hospital. You wouldn’t even answer your phone. Or send a text. Or respond to my hundreds of texts. I can handle a lot of things, but I won’t let you walk all over me, then refuse to offer me the same peace of mind. And then get pissed at me? Talk down to me? Who the hell do you think I am?”

I turn and walk away, and he lets me, because he can’t follow. He can’t make a scene.

The Boogeyman could be watching.

Let the sick bastard come.

I need something to stab.

“Stay with her. I’ll be there as soon as I can get free,” I hear Logan saying, probably to Duke as I keep walking. “And someone find me a fucking phone charger!”

The first tear falls as I step into the open elevator and stab the Lobby button fiercely. I ran up three flights of stairs, worried out of my mind that Logan was hurt when I couldn’t get him to answer my million and one calls or texts.

Turns out, I’m just someone he didn’t bother to think of when I was going out of my mind with all the worst case scenarios.

Dead phone is not a good excuse. Not when everyone on the team is here with their phones he could have used.

Duke slides into the elevators just before the doors close, and he leans against the wall.