Chapter 10

𝘌𝘹𝘱𝘦𝘤𝘵𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯 𝘪𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘳𝘰𝘰𝘵 𝘰𝘧 𝘢𝘭𝘭 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵𝘢𝘤𝘩𝘦.
- 𝘞𝘪𝘭𝘭𝘪𝘢𝘮 𝘚𝘩𝘢𝘬𝘦𝘴𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘦

𝗟𝗢𝗚𝗔𝗡

Lana is wrapped around me, sleeping peacefully, when my phone chimes with a series of rapid-fire texts.

Groaning, I turn over and grab my phone. Lana turns with me, sighing in her sleep as she curls into my side.

I kiss her head before I start reading the texts.

𝗔𝗗 𝗖𝗢𝗟𝗟𝗜𝗡𝗦: 𝗪𝗲 𝗵𝗮𝘃𝗲 𝗮 𝘀𝗶𝘁𝘂𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻. 𝗖𝗼𝗻𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁 𝗺𝗲 𝗶𝗺𝗺𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗲𝗹𝘆.

𝗖𝗥𝗔𝗜𝗚: 𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗳𝘂𝗰𝗸𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗔𝘀𝘀𝗼𝗰𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗲 𝗗𝗲𝗽𝘂𝘁𝘆 𝗗𝗶𝗿𝗲𝗰𝘁𝗼𝗿 𝗷𝘂𝘀𝘁 𝘁𝗼𝗹𝗱 𝗺𝗲 𝘁𝗼 𝗳𝗶𝗻𝗱 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗯𝗿𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗶𝗻. 𝗦𝗵𝗶𝘁 𝗵𝗮𝘀 𝗵𝗶𝘁 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗳𝗮𝗻.

𝗛𝗔𝗗𝗟𝗘𝗬: 𝗜 𝗷𝘂𝘀𝘁 𝗴𝗼𝘁 𝘁𝗼 𝘄𝗼𝗿𝗸, 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗚𝗼𝗱𝗳𝗮𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗿 𝗶𝘀 𝗵𝗲𝗿𝗲. 𝗬𝗼𝘂 𝗯𝗲𝘁𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗴𝗲𝘁 𝗶𝗻 𝗵𝗲𝗿𝗲 𝗳𝗮𝘀𝘁.

Cursing, I bail out of bed, leaving Lana to sleep without me. I’m getting sick of this. My schedule has always been hectic, but it seems to be getting worse with so many high profile killers deciding to go on sprees.

Quickly, I get dressed, wondering what in the fuck Johnson is doing on our unit’s floor. I scribble a note for Lana, promising her I’ll be back as soon as I can, and bail out the door at four in the morning to deal with the shit that has supposedly hit the fan.

By the time I arrive, Johnson is sitting in my fucking office at my motherfucking desk.

“What the hell do you think you’re doing? No one is allowed in here unless I grant them access,” I snap.

“Lower your tone to your superiors,” he growls, glaring at me.

We’ve never liked each other, in case that isn’t apparent.

“Get out of my office, and you’re not my superior, SSA Johnson. In case you haven’t noticed, I have the same title. And as for your position in the Bureau, it holds no authority over mine.”

He slowly stands, straightening his jacket as he does.

“I was just getting caught up on my case.”

“Your case?” I ask, gauging him.

He’s more arrogant than usual, and he’s definitely selling some shade to go with that menacing gleam in his eyes.

“Yes. My case. It seems as though you’re digging into case files that are mine, and apparently the director decided I should come investigate this new case you think is linked to my old one.”

“You mean the director caved and let you do whatever you want because you two are golf buddies by day, and swing buddies by night,” I restate, saying what he should have.