Chapter 14

𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘢𝘵𝘵𝘦𝘮𝘱𝘵 𝘵𝘰 𝘤𝘰𝘮𝘣𝘪𝘯𝘦 𝘸𝘪𝘴𝘥𝘰𝘮 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘱𝘰𝘸𝘦𝘳 𝘩𝘢𝘴 𝘳𝘢𝘳𝘦𝘭𝘺 𝘣𝘦𝘦𝘯 𝘴𝘶𝘤𝘤𝘦𝘴𝘴𝘧𝘶𝘭,
𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘰𝘯𝘭𝘺 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘢 𝘴𝘩𝘰𝘳𝘵 𝘸𝘩𝘪𝘭𝘦.
—𝘈𝘭𝘣𝘦𝘳𝘵 𝘌𝘪𝘯𝘴𝘵𝘦𝘪𝘯

𝗟𝗢𝗚𝗔𝗡

“Why isn’t anything happening?” I ask Hadley, watching the monitors that have been flipping at random for the past hour on the completely evacuated town.

A screen pops up; the heat signature screen from earlier that Jake shut down. It has the entire town on the screen, but the only heat signatures are all coming from one building.

“Town hall,” Hadley says to herself, echoing my own thoughts. “They cleared out the entire town with the exception of the deputies.”

“What are these?” I ask, pointing to the few near the side of the town, and the one right on the border but still inside the town.

“That’s probably Jake or Lana, just like this one,” Hadley says, motioning to one that is moving through the streets like it’s walking.

My stomach clenches as my eyes train on the moving ones.

“These here are probably some officers who were sent to the edge of the town border for some reason,” Hadley goes on, gesturing to the three dots off to the side.

A message box pops up before I can ask any more questions.

𝘠𝘰𝘶 𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘥𝘺 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘴? 𝘖𝘳 𝘥𝘰 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘸𝘢𝘯𝘵 𝘵𝘰 𝘭𝘰𝘰𝘬 𝘢𝘸𝘢𝘺? 𝘐𝘵’𝘴 𝘨𝘰𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘵𝘰 𝘨𝘦𝘵 𝘮𝘦𝘴𝘴𝘺.

Hadley sucks in a breath, staring at the message box.

“Is that Jake?” I ask, leaning forward.

“Yes,” she says as she types back.

𝘞𝘩𝘺 𝘢𝘳𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦 𝘰𝘧𝘧𝘪𝘤𝘦𝘳𝘴 𝘰𝘶𝘵𝘴𝘪𝘥𝘦 𝘰𝘧 𝘵𝘰𝘸𝘯?

Immediately, another message pops up.

𝘉𝘦𝘤𝘢𝘶𝘴𝘦 𝘐 𝘴𝘦𝘯𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘮 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦. 𝘛𝘩𝘦𝘺’𝘳𝘦 𝘪𝘯𝘯𝘰𝘤𝘦𝘯𝘵.

Hadley’s eyes meet mine, a question in their depths.

“I need to see her, Hadley.”

She nods, then types back.

𝘓𝘰𝘨𝘢𝘯 𝘪𝘴 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘮𝘦. 𝘏𝘦 𝘸𝘢𝘯𝘵𝘴 𝘵𝘰 𝘴𝘦𝘦 𝘓𝘢𝘯𝘢.

The monitors flip to a whirl of dark hair from the back, guns loading her down as she carries a backpack through town. But I can’t see her face from this angle.

My heartbeat drums in my throat, and another message box comes through.

𝘏𝘦 𝘴𝘩𝘰𝘶𝘭𝘥 𝘱𝘳𝘰𝘣𝘢𝘣𝘭𝘺 𝘭𝘰𝘰𝘬 𝘢𝘸𝘢𝘺. 𝘓𝘢𝘯𝘢 𝘪𝘴𝘯’𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘴𝘸𝘦𝘦𝘵 𝘨𝘪𝘳𝘭 𝘳𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵 𝘯𝘰𝘸.