Chapter 9

𝘛𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦 𝘢𝘳𝘦 𝘵𝘳𝘶𝘵𝘩𝘴 𝘸𝘩𝘪𝘤𝘩 𝘢𝘳𝘦 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘢𝘭𝘭 𝘮𝘦𝘯, 𝘯𝘰𝘳 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘢𝘭𝘭 𝘵𝘪𝘮𝘦𝘴.
- 𝘝𝘰𝘭𝘵𝘢𝘪𝘳𝘦

𝗟𝗢𝗚𝗔𝗡

Two deputies block us the second we step up on the front porch of Kyle Davenport’s home.

“Sorry, Agents, but no one is going in without the sheriff’s permission,” the one in front of me says.

Chad Briggs. I remember him.

I just smirk.

“Unless you guys want me calling more of my guys in because you’re impeding a federal investigation, I suggest you step out of the way.”

Briggs takes a step toward me, a dark challenge in his eyes. “SSA Johnson is the lead on your end. If he wants to come chat with Kyle, I’ll step down. But we’re taking the threat on his life seriously, and you’re not stepping—”

His words end on a grunt when I grab his wrist and twist, sending him face first into the side of the house. Leonard pulls his gun when the other deputy stupidly tries to make a grab for his own weapon.

“Let me be very clear here,” I say to Briggs, wrenching his arm tighter behind him and making him cry out. “I’ll speak to whoever the fuck I want to speak to, considering your guys tried to take me out last night. And if you’re smart, you’ll keep your mouth shut until I’m gone. Or I’ll call in every fucking favor I’m owed inside the FBI to get an entire army of agents in this town, telling them about how the corrupt little fuckwad county deputies are trying to take down a federal agent. Now, do you want to back down, or should I start making all those phone calls.”

He stops struggling, and I feel him go rigid.

“Yeah. Think about what you’d do if one of your guys was targeted by an outsider. I have friends like that too, Deputy.”

He curses, and the other guy turns and heads inside, calling for Kyle as Leonard holsters his weapon.

Briggs rubs his newly injured wrist, and I nudge him, forcing him inside in front of us. I’d rather talk to Kyle alone, but I don’t want them calling the sheriff in like an attack dog before I get a few words in.

“Kyle!” the other deputy shouts again.

“Yeah. Yeah. Coming,” says a voice from down the hall.

Kyle Davenport emerges, wearing nothing but a towel, and an arched eyebrow. “The fuck are you?”

He’s leaner than the other victims, but still solid, as though he works out but doesn’t want bulk. His hair is dark and hanging almost over his dark eyes. He’s tall, a lot like me.

“How about I ask you some questions,” I say with a smirk.

“These are some of the FBI guys,” the other deputy grumbles.

“Thought Dad said to keep those fuck sticks away from me,” Kyle drawls, completely unaffected by our presence.

He drops to a chair, still just wearing a towel.