CHAPTER THIRTEEN, girl meets the great lady of new york

Mirabel knew the basics of her family's history, but there was so much that she still didn't know about her mother's side. Like her great abuela and abuelo. She was told a little about them, but not enough. She was curious about them, she wanted to know more. She wanted to know how they were like, how did they meet, what were their stories. All she really knew was that her abuela was a strong, resilient woman who had a deep love for her family, and her abuelo was a hardworking man who took pride in providing for his loved ones. But she longed to learn more about their lives and the experiences that shaped them into the people they were.

And lucky for her, she was going to have a good reason to dig deeper into her family's history to find out more.

"The Statue of Liberty, the Great Lady of New York, has been speaking loud and clear since 1885. Anybody know what she's trying to say? Maya?" Mr. Matthews inquired, glancing at the blonde, who just smiled back at him.

"Should I just talk?" Farkle asked.

"No, I'm sick of people thinking Farkle's smarter than I am." Maya grumbled. 

Riley grins. "Here comes fun." Mirabel chuckled, watching as Maya turned to Farkle.

"Name one thing about the Statue of Liberty that you know that I don't." Farkle suggests.
"She was a gift of friendship from..."

"C-Cathy." Maya interrupted him.

"We got her right after...." He continued, but Maya cut him off again.

"Cathy didn't want her anymore."

"What does she stand for?" Farkle asked the blonde, a hint of amusement shining in his eyes.

"Because Cathy took her chair." Maya replied in an obvious tone. Mirabel stifled a giggle, watching with amusement.

"Boy, that Cathy, huh? What a hoot." Farkle remarked.

"She's not real, genius. I made her up." Maya scoffs. "I'm so smarter than you."

"You are. You really are." Farkle went along with it, smiling with amusement when Maya raised her eyebrows and grinned at him with a smug look on her face.

"Welcome to Cultural Week, people." Mr. Matthews said with a small chuckle. "The school is throwing a cultural fair to celebrate who we are and where we came from. Anybody here taking a part?"

A few hands are raised and Mr. Matthews points at Nigel. "My grandma's gonna have a booth at the fair, Mr. Matthews." Nigel explained with a smile.

"That's great, Nigel. What culture will you be celebrating?" Mr. Matthews asked him.

"She was originally from Cambodia, she escaped and lived in the Philippines, then she came here." Nigel replied.

"Did you know that about him?" Riley questioned, glancing back at Maya with furrowed eyebrows.

"It surprises me when any of these guys talk." Maya answered, gesturing to the people around them and in the back of the classroom.

"And that's exactly what makes America so unique. We all come from exotic locales with fascinating traditions." Mr. Matthews spoke.

Riley perks up at that. "Well, where are we from?"

"Philly."

"What's our fascinating tradition?" Riley asked him.

"Cream cheese." Mr. Matthews smiled.

Riley stares at him with disbelief. "So I'm the great lady of cream cheese? I want a better tradition, please."

"Funny you should say that." Mr. Matthews replied.

"Funny, 'haha' funny, or funny," Riley said and then groans. "'yay' funny?"