A discovery from ancient times

Hi, so I guess this is redundant, but so no one can complain after, here's your spoiler warning for all currently completed movies and series from the Star Wars universe. Even though I put my own stamp on the story and a lot of it was made up by me, my story does contain spoilers for: Episode 1-9, Bad Batch, Rebels, Ahsoka, Mandalorian and Kenobi.

So with that out of the way, I hope you enjoy the first chapter.

D'Quar, headquarters of the resistance
pov. Poe Dameron

Bored, I sat on some cargo crates in the landing zone and let my legs dangle. The flight deck was bustling with activity. Pilots were landing and taking off. The incoming cargo was loaded onto transport speeders and sent on its way to the warehouse. I hoped it finally contained the medical equipment that the New Republic had been promising us for weeks.

I let out a sigh and shoved my hands into the pockets of my leather jacket. Since it was important for our mission to remain undetected, I wasn't wearing my bright orange pilot suit today, but a simple white shirt, black pants and combat boots. My blaster hung ready for action in the holster on my leg.

I was usually busy getting my shuttle ready for take-off before a mission, but our pilot flatly refused to get into a strange cockpit.

With narrowed eyes, I searched the sky again for the Omikron shuttle. She was late. Again.

"She'll be here," a familiar voice sounded behind me.

My face twisted into a smile as I saw Jason coming towards me. My boyfriend's silver armor sparkled in the sunlight. He had his helmet tucked under his arm and as the wind picked up, his black curls were tousled. He stopped in front of me. Because I was sitting on the crates, I was about the same height as him.

I leaned forward a little and planted a kiss on him in greeting, "Remind me again why she has to come?" I rested my arms on Jason's shoulders. Some time alone with my boyfriend would have been nice. Even though it was a mission, between all the missions for the Resistance and firefights with the First Order, we hardly had any time to ourselves.

Jason's green eyes flashed with amusement "Because we'll be flying into the middle of First Order territory and her ship is so old that it can't be detected by their scanners."

I tilted my head "Jace, do you really think we're going to find anything?" I looked at my boyfriend questioningly.

I very much doubted that the mission would be successful. But ever since we had received a distress signal a few days ago on a frequency that shouldn't have existed for decades, Leia had been insisting that we should investigate. She must have sensed something in the Force, as she always did when she wouldn't give the exact reason for a mission.

Jason shrugged, causing his shoulder plates to rattle a little "I don't know about that, but if there's one thing I've learned about Force users, it's that you should trust their instincts."

Before I had a chance to reply, I heard the sound of a shuttle approaching far too quickly "By the Creator, I hope she doesn't break anything this time." I muttered. Last time, our pilot had knocked over some cargo crates during her landing approach. Not a problem in itself, but smoke bombs had been stored in these crates. For almost an hour, the landing zone had been an impenetrable soup of fog. And it wasn't even because she was a bad pilot. Certainly not. She was the best pilot I knew. The crates had just been in her way.

Next to me, Jason laughed softly and put on his helmet with a whooshing sound. The Omikron shuttle braked sharply and touched down gently. The props extended and the stairs folded down. I jumped down from the crates and followed Jace, who was already marching towards the ancient shuttle.