Help is on the way

pov. Jason
I was about to lose my mind. It had been less than two hours since we had received Poe's distress call. It had been less than one hour since the leaders of the resistance had voted against a rescue mission."It's not worth the risk." The apologetic words echoed through my head. 

If General Organa had been here, she would never have allowed this. But she wasn't here. She was several hundred light years away and was meeting with the leaders of the new republic. As she had done so many times before, the diplomat tried to convince the government how dangerous the First Order really was. And as she had done so many times before, she would fail. 

Frustrated, I swept some machine parts off the dresser. They landed on the floor with a clatter. I quickly looked over the piece of furniture, didn't find what I was looking for, and next turned to the large shelf on the wall. 

I stopped in front of the shelf for a split second. Unfinished prototypes for modifying an X-wing were lined up close together on the metal shelves. Just yesterday I had teased Poe that the shelf would collapse at some point if he didn't finish some of his projects soon. I took a deep breath, blinked away the tears and continued my search. 

Again I didn't find what I was looking for."Where could it be?" I ran my hand desperately through my hair and squinted in thought. As if I were being controlled remotely, I walked through Poe's and my quarters and scanned every inch for what I was looking for.Finally I discovered the transmitter between two spare parts for BB8. I didn't even want to know how it got there.

 I roughly swept the components for the droid aside and grabbed the device. Still a little hesitant, I looked at the big red button in the middle of the transmitter. My brother Grogu gave me this transmitter only for emergencies. Shortly before he set off with Ahsoka Tano and Luke Skywalker to search for a newly awakened threat. The threat was older than the First Order. Much older and much darker. All three Force users felt this darkness for the first time after Luke's Jedi Temple was destroyed.That was four months ago. No one had heard from them since.I took a quick, deep breath. The First Order had Poe. This was definitely an emergency. Without further hesitation, I pressed the button. 

Immediately, the button began to flash and emitted a quiet, steady beep. I stared at the flashing light, transfixed. There was nothing I could do now but wait. Even though I would like nothing more than to leave immediately to save Poe, I needed support. Because the last tiny part of my brain that wasn't consumed by worry about Poe told me that I couldn't possibly infiltrate this base alone. I would die before I even reached Poe. 

With my shoulders slumped, I looked around the quarters. I couldn't stay here. I saw Poe everywhere. How he tinkered with BB8 at our dinner table. How he grinned at me with his soot-smeared face after he had spent hours tinkering with a new modification to his ship. How he ruffled his hair on the couch in irritation as I taught him Mando'a.I pressed my hand to my mouth to muffle my sobs. 

Angry at myself, I hit my temple with the palm of my hand. Now was not the time to cry. I quickly grabbed my jet pack from the holder on the wall and attached it to my back. I already had my blasters and vibroblade on my body, as well as my armor. On my way to the door, I grabbed my helmet, tucked it under my right arm and made my way to the landing zone. I had no idea how long it would take until Grogu would be here, or if he would even come. I just clung to the hope that he would receive my signal and stand by my side.Because even though the people around me belonged to the resistance, they rarely resisted the orders of their leaders. I could not expect any help from our ranks. Maybe they also knew that it was suicide to attack the First Order on one of their occupied planets. 

As soon as I entered the landing zone, I wanted to kick something or throw something around. It was completely cordoned off. The X-wings and fighters had been brought into our hangar. Only a few Lambda class shuttles were still visible. It was dead quiet. Not a soul was to be seen.Sighing, I slid down some boxes, pulled up my legs, put my helmet on the floor next to me and rested my elbows on my knees. In the ridiculous hope that I would already be able to discover Grogu's fighter I started staring up at the sky.