Chapter 3

No birds chirped or flew in the air. It was as if they heard the news that Elizabeth hated all animals, and decided they should stay away from Charles' estate. Nevertheless, it was a beautiful day. The sun sat cheerily in the aqua blue sky. The puffy white clouds seemed to be playing hide-and-seek with the sun. One minute the clouds blocked the fiery star during its travels, then the next minute it was allowed to shine its radiant beams.

Rebecca was up by six. She straightened her already neat room and dressed for the day in a light salmon-pink dress, its skirt's loose and comfortable. She wore soft shoes, no heels. It was summer and the day spelled joy. By seven, she went downstairs for a simple breakfast of cereal and milk, with slices of strawberries. By eight, she kissed her father goodbye at the door, and then headed to her room to watch him drive away in his Cadillac.

At nine, Elizabeth was awake, changed into her day's wear and had breakfast. By ten o'clock, a chill and dark aura descended upon the home, disturbing the shallow peace within. The morning certainly was not lovely and wonderful anymore, as Elizabeth stormed into her stepdaughter's room.

"Who the hell do you think you are, you spoiled brat? Who gave you authority to speak to me like that last night? I, who happen to act in your best interest, suggests a wonderful idea, and instead of speaking rationally and with some sense, you throw my offer back in my face, you ungrateful imp! Let me let you in on something, whether you like it or not, when summer's over you will be attending school in Paris. When your father returns tonight, you better say nothing less than yes."

Elizabeth breathed deeply for her lungs were starved for air. Her lips parted slightly, ready to dismiss any rebuttal. Rebecca patiently assessed the woman's flushed face and evil eyes. She stood and smoothed the creases in her skirt.

"No." She replied with finality that her stepmother was taken aback.

"Excuse me."

"I wasn't intoxicated last night when I said it. I meant it then and I mean it now."

"How rude, insufferable and intolerable you are! You will do as I say if you know what's good for you. I really don't know how your father puts up with you. You're just like your mother, a damn b-" Rebecca exploded. No one insults her mother, especially not this cruel woman. All the anger rushed forward like a herd of horses galloping through the wilderness.

"Don't you dare finish what you were going to say, when we both know you are the biggest one in all of England." Her stepmother looked aghast, and Rebecca continued to pour out the pain and hurt she had endured during the years of life with her stepmother.

"I am not going to Paris whether you want me to or not. Also, let me make something clear, you've never supported me, you've ruined my life. You're the insufferable and intolerable one. Nobody likes you, not even the birds will fly here. You're a malevolent, callous, ruthless, inexorable evil woman, and above all you are a murderer!" With those words said in bitter disgust, unexpectedly Rebecca felt the palm of her stepmother's hand on her left cheek. It stung. She knew in minutes the handprint would be conspicuous. They both stared at each other shocked and surprised.

"You're going to pay for that Elizabeth, along with everything you did to me as well as my mother."

"You better shut your mouth before I slap you again, to purge you of all those filthy lies." Rebecca chuckled nastily.

"It's not lies and you know it. Believe me when I say this, I don't care if hell freezes over or heaven falls and squash us, you will pay for what you've done to us, and dearly too." Rebecca slowly walked to the door. With her hand on the knob, she paused and barely turned towards her stepmother.

"Get out of my room, you've poisoned it enough already." With those words, Rebecca stormed out the door, went downstairs and exited the front door. She began to run. How long she ran she could not remember, for inside her raged a fury that would not be quenched. She was forced at last to stop and rest for her breathing grew ragged, and her heart pounded as though it would burst.

Calmer now, she surveyed her surroundings. She was in the family cemetery. Just the person she needed, her mother. The desperate cries for solace unconsciously chartered a path to her mother's grave. Rebecca stopped in front of the headstone that read:

                                                              Regina Rebecca Campbell-Charles,

                                                                         Sunrise 1965, Sunset 1999.

                                                                                        Rest in Peace.

Rebecca crumbled to her knees. Unshed tears gathered behind her eyelids, threatening to spill with a single blink. The battle for control was lost, and the salty drops splattered on her cheeks.

"Mother, it's me Becky. I know it's been awhile but..." Her words trailed off. She focused on the sky above, hoping to be favored with the strength she did not feel. "I want to ask your forgiveness for what I'm about to do. You've always said to forgive people who do you wrong, and to not return hurt through acts of revenge. However, I cannot allow her to get away with what she's done. She's poisoned you every day for the two weeks she came to visit us. And all for father and his riches. She was your best friend for crying out loud! You would have done anything for her, but instead she repaid your kindness and trust with deceit. What an evil backstabber of a woman. Well no more! As long as I have life, strength, and breath in my body, she will never live to be happy."

Rebecca clucked her tongue and smiled. "Don't worry mother, I won't kill her. I have no desire to stoop to such a level, not for a pot of gold." Her bravado was slowly unravelling as trembling fingers tried to hide the raw emotions displayed on her face. It took several deep breaths to compose herself. Nothing could describe how she now felt, sort of calmer, stronger and funnily at peace. She lay on the grass and folded her arms around her knees to draw them closer to her chest. The childish action was filled with the nostalgia of bittersweet memories.

Like the vibrations of a drill impacting concrete, Rebecca's body shook with controlled weeping. An ever so soft breeze tickled the tree leaves and whispered a timeless tune in her ear. Soon she was asleep.

Meanwhile, at the house Elizabeth stormed into the master's bedroom, slamming the door, which shook the canopy. The urge to scream or smash something nearly stifled her. That brat! How dare she talk to her in such a manner. However, the reason for her nervous outrage stemmed from the knowledge cast in the girl's heart. Rebecca knew. All these years the girl knew what she had done. Elizabeth stopped her pacing before she wore out the carpet, and covered her mouth.

"What if she tells her father?" She whispered to the paintings. A moment of panic shook her very soul. Shaking her head, Elizabeth threw her hands in the air in exasperation. "Hell, even though that's his daughter, he'll never believe such a tale." She laughed cruelly and headed for the door. "Oh my dear Rebecca, you are steering the wrong ship. I'll drown you missy, if you only stand in my way." Whispered bitterly to the silent room. There was no need to worry over someone who was like gum beneath her shoes. Satisfied, she exited the bedroom, and went about managing the home, ensuring the staff were cleaning to her standard of perfection.