Chapter 24

Of course it hurt. How could she have been so stupid to be trapped in her stepdaughter's web, and then drown her misery in alcohol. Her head pounded harder than the hooves of horses racing over hills and valleys in a quiet countryside.

Elizabeth groaned in frustration and rolled out of bed. Fortunately, the heavy draperies were drawn, allowing her to comfortably open her eyes to slights. Dizziness overcame her and she lay down again. Grumbling under her breath, she curled into a ball and squeezed her eyes shut. Lethargically, she rang for a servant.

Sleep offered assistance and Elizabeth gratefully accepted. When the maid arrived she could figure out what to do, but if she thought she was going to get an explanation or see some kind of gratitude from her mistress, then she was floating on a shooting star.

The front door opened and curious, Rebecca went to greet the visitor. Summer was slowly approaching its end, so she confined herself to the sitting room to complete her outstanding school projects. She poked her head out the door, but no one was visible.

"Howe?" She called cautiously, frowning. She smelled her father's cologne, but it was only midday and he was not due home for the next couple of hours.

"Oh, hi Becca. What are you up to?" Startled by the voice of her father, Rebecca tensed, startled. She put a hand to her chest, reassuring her heart that she was not in any immediate danger. She swallowed the lump in her throat.

"Oh, hi father. I'm currently studying. What are you up to?"

"I left one of my files at home, which I need for a meeting in..." He checked his wristwatch, the initial black and gold cuff-links beaming. "...next hour and a half." He smiled wryly at her. "Where's Elizabeth?"

"I haven't seen her yet. Well, good luck finding it. Need any help?"

"Thanks sweetheart, but I'm sure or at least I hope I left it in the filing cabinet."

"I hope so too." Rebecca left him at his office doors and returned to the sitting room. She resumed her seat on the rug, and opened her workbook. With a smile, she sipped from the glass of cranberry juice a maid had been so kind to offer earlier, when she saw her young mistress studying intently. A bag of potato chips lay next to her on a well-kept textbook.

Five minutes later, the doorbell rang. Rebecca sighed. She had no reason to move, but she was like a lamb to the slaughter. Curiosity demanded she see who was visiting. The person's back was to her, but then he turned and her face lit with delight as well as his.

"Becca!"

"Uncle John!" She flew into his arms and he spun her around. Playfully, he held his lower back, pretending to be in pain.

"I need to stop doing that. You've gotten too heavy, puppet." She favoured him with child-like laughter.

"You're just getting too old." He laughed as well, a boisterous boom that cloaked her heart with love and joy. Uncle John was her father's younger brother by three years. Though he had already reached the advanced age of forty, the volumes of his shiny black hair held nary a hint of grey.

His features were lean, with a thin curly moustache over a generous mouth. Just like his brother, he was tall and masculine.

"So, how's my favourite niece?"

"Coping and you?"

"Could use a vacation." The butler lingered nearby and she dismissed him. Hand in hand they walked down the hall. "Where's your father and Elizabeth?"

"Father's in his office, Elizabeth is probably still asleep."

"My, haven't things changed around here. On a first name basis with your stepmother now?"