Chapter 20

The evening meal had passed quietly, with only the silverware cluttering softly on the porcelain plates. Lost in their train of thoughts, the diners said nothing nor looked at each other. When the meal was over they went their separate ways. Ten minutes later, the house was plunged into sudden darkness. It appeared to be a power outage.

Edward sighed in frustration. He and Elizabeth were seated in the living room. Rising, he said to his wife,

"I'll go get a flashlight. Want anything?"

"Just tell the servants to come light the candles in this room."

Although unseen, he nodded and walked away. Occasionally, the groans of agony were heard as he bumped into furniture.

"Someone could easily think I don't live here." He muttered to himself on the way to find one of the maids.

Elizabeth drummed her thin fingers on the armrest. It harmonised with the returning raindrops. A maid came in clasping a battery operated lantern, and she handed Elizabeth a flashlight.

"What's this? Where are the candles?"

"Sorry my lady, but we can't find them. I'm sure they have been temporarily misplaced. We'll have them soon."

"So why don't you leave that lantern with me and take this flashlight?"

"Mr. Charles and Mr. Howard are going down to the basement to check what caused the power outage, and they need the lantern. They only sent me with it to give you this flashlight. I'm sorry my lady, but I'm afraid I must get back to them immediately."

"Very well then, leave." Turning abruptly, the maid hurried out of the room. Not even bothering to turn on her source of light, Elizabeth leaned back into the comfort of the soft cushion, and closed her eyes. Drowsiness settled on her like a bad habit.

Instantly, her body stiffened when she heard movements in the room. She did not open her eyes, for the same shade within the room was already behind her eyelids. Instead, she strained her ears to hear and clarify the sounds. Maybe it's a rat she thought, and began to relax, only to become rigid again. A rat! She calmed herself. No, that was impossible. A fly did not even exist on Charles' estate. The noise came again, a clinking sound.

Hopefully, it was just one of the maids passing in the hallway, or the electricity trying to come back on. But the noise failed to cease. Furthermore, it sounded as if it was in the room where she sat. Her heart accelerated beyond what was considered normal.

"Who's there?" She called out firmly. No answer. Irritated, she opened her eyes and stood, while fumbling to switch on the flashlight. As she struggled with the light, Elizabeth walked in the direction of the noise.

Finally, she found the switch and pressed the rubber button. She screamed. It was an ear-splitting, glass shattering, heart stopping, high-pitched scream that blanched the owner's face. There in front of her with features paler than bone, hair stringy and dull, clothes ragged and old, with a spoon and bowl in her hand, was Regina Charles.

Elizabeth's heart thumped faster than waves against rocks in a storm.

"No more please dear friend. Please Elizabeth, I don't want any more soup. It makes me feel so weak and depressed. It's not helping. Please, please, please..." She said in a voice that was thick with tears, pain and suffering. Elizabeth screamed again.

"What's the matter best friend? You don't seem pleased to see me." She held up a small bottle. "I kept some of what you have been feeding me just for you." She held it out to her friend.

"Here Elizabeth, drink. It'll make you feel better before the sunsets. Remember when you used to tell me that?"

"Get away from me!" Elizabeth screeched in genuine terror and ran to the door. It was locked. Her deceased friend began to laugh. An evil, wicked laugh. Elizabeth ran and fell on the couch, using it as her refuge as she buried her face in the plushiness of the cushion. She covered her head with her hands, intertwining her fingers, praying earnestly for deliverance. It was difficult to recall the last time she prayed.