Chapter 7

"Looking for something?" Rebecca asked coolly so as not to startle the other woman. It was to no avail, Elizabeth nearly jumped a foot in the air. She swiveled in the direction of the doorway, her eyes narrowing to slits, while the breath that escaped her lips sounding very much like the hissing of a snake. So engrossed was she in the self appointed task, Elizabeth had not heard the car crunch on the driveway, or felt the girl's presence in the room.

"What are you doing back so soon?"

"I got bored."

"How long have you been standing there?"

"Not long... but long enough to hear you murmur to yourself, 'where in hell could that imp have hidden those damn clothes.' Truly Elizabeth, your vocabulary is very unladylike." Rebecca sauntered further into the room, inspected every detail. Usually, since the guest bedrooms were not frequently inhabited, the furniture would be covered with white cloth, but currently the cloths were thrown into rumpled heaps on the ground. Drawers and cupboards were left opened, while the mattress lay haphazardly on the bed.

"Where did you put them?"

"Trust me Elizabeth, it certainly isn't where you could find it."

"Didn't I tell you to stop calling me by my first name?"

"What would you do Elizabeth... slap me?" The nerve of the child, Elizabeth thought. Oh, how she would like to imprint five of her fingers on the porcelain flesh. Instead, she inhaled to control her rising temper and curb her impulses.

"Listen to me you-"

"I'm afraid I can't 'listen' to one of your lectures at the moment, I came to tell you that the Wilsons' are here."

"What! How long have they been here?"

"At least half-an-hour. They came in the gates just as I was getting out of the car."

"And now you tell me this?!" Elizabeth spat angrily.

"Don't worry, I entertained them for a bit, and to give you enough time to try and find what you're looking for." Elizabeth was flabbergasted.

"Now tidy yourself Elizabeth, I'll tell them you'll be down in a minute." Rebecca marched to the door before her stepmother had a chance to reply.

When the second Mrs. Charles arrived in the sitting room, she was the epitome of perfection. Neat hair, expensive clothes, and flawless make-up. Her eyes shone artificial friendliness, her smile wide and enchanting.

"How lovely to see you. I apologise for leaving you in the company of my stepdaughter for so long."

"It's alright, no need to apologise. We're actually enjoying her presence."

"I see. Rebecca, go tell Mrs. Howard to prepare a pot of tea and can you bring it for the Wilson's and myself, please."

"I don't see why I should go, for it is the parlour-maid's job, and that's why you have a bell... to ring her." Elizabeth's black eyes widened, and breathing grew heavy. Mr. and Mrs. Wilson coughed discreetly to hide their surprise. The temperature in the room suddenly dropped and the guests shivered, as they observed the tension between stepmother and stepdaughter in alarm. They seemed on the verge of battle. A corner of Elizabeth's lips ticked with a strained smile.

"Is that right?" She responded slowly, warning Rebecca with her eyes, to not push her luck. Rebecca smiled warmly. Elizabeth returned her attention to her guest. "You'll have to excuse me, I'm not feeling well today." Mrs. Wilson and her husband laughed nervously. Rebecca bit her tongue so as not to laugh, for she felt sorry for them.