Chapter 13

Elizabeth awoke to the soft musical drumming of rain on the rooftop. She kept her eyes closed. This time she had a genuine headache. After all the wine she consumed yesterday, it wasn't surprising she suffered a mild hangover. She rolled over to embrace her husband, but only warm sheets greeted her groping fingers. Groaning, she plopped onto her back, annoyed that Edward refused to sleep late even on the weekend.

Elizabeth rolled to her side again, and opened her eyes. She screamed. A piercing sound that froze even the hands of time for about a millisecond. Plastered on the wall near the door were multiple pictures of a woman she despised for years. Regina Charles! Also plastered was a picture of a... duck?! Racked with rage, she flew off the bed and dragged the photos of the damn woman, duck, and musical scripts off the lemon-coloured wall.

The door crashed open in the opposite direction, and she fumbled to act casually, as Edward and Rebecca tumbled into the room.

"What's the matter?" Edward probed, trying to catch his breath. Rebecca quietly examined the scene. Elizabeth sputtered for words to explain herself.

"I... uh... saw a spider." Her husband looked bewildered.

"I thought someone was up here strangling you."

"My Elizabeth, you gave us a fright. Are you sure it was a spider, and not something else." Rebecca enquired snidely, monitoring her stepmother closely.

"It's as I stated, girl." Elizabeth snapped. The flames in her eyes defused when Edward retrieved a snapshot from the floor. Silence encompassed the room.

"Where did you get this?" Edward asked, displaying the photo.

"I-" Plausible answers evaded her, and to her utter relief and surprise Rebecca replied as she took the photo from her father.

"Oh, you found it! Thank you so much stepmother." To her confused father she said, "The other day I asked Elizabeth if she had any photos of mother playing the piano. Unfortunately, I misplaced the one I had. I was so dismayed at my clumsiness, but Elizabeth has saved the day! How my heart is filled with joy again. Isn't that so stepmother?"

The impossible had happened. A day she could have never phantom, where she would agree with her stepdaughter.

"Yes, of course. You're welcome, child."

"Well father, let's go back downstairs and finish what we were doing. Unless you want us to look for the spider, Elizabeth?" The older woman's pupils widened.

"No!" She shouted. "I... ah... already killed it." She didn't want her husband gazing at the other photos.

"Elizabeth, what on earth has gotten into you?"

"I apologise, dear. You know how I get when I haven't had breakfast."

Involuntary giggles spilled from Rebecca's lips.

"Sorry. Father shall we allow Elizabeth to tidy herself."

"Should I send a servant?"

"No need, my dear husband. I'm quite fine with getting ready by myself."

"Okay honey, see you downstairs."

"Yes of course." Edward kissed his wife on the forehead. She crushed the glossy paper to her chest. At the door, he turned to his daughter.

"Well..." He said, motioning her out the door with his hands.

"I'll be a minute."

He left, and Rebecca snickered.

"A spider Elizabeth? Of all the things to say, that's the best you could come up with?"

"And what about you? Why'd you help me?"

"Because it isn't time for my father to find out yet."

"He'll never believe you."

"You keep telling yourself that Elizabeth if it will make you breathe better every day."

"What is it that you want?"

"After all this time you don't know? To see you suffer Elizabeth, and for the rest of your life."

"Who are you to do this to me?" Elizabeth asked. Rebecca mumbled incoherently.

"Speak up child, I can't hear you?"

"I said I am my mother's daughter." She answered evenly. Although baffled and angry by the reply, Elizabeth said nothing. Something about the girl's tone kept her quiet.

"You can keep those photos, I know how much you love reminders. And while you're at it, also tidy your room before coming downstairs, as I would hate for the maids to think we're raising a pig." Rebecca scolded nastily, and she slammed the door on her way out. In the hall, Rebecca heard the satisfied smashing of glass against the door, and she smiled bitterly.

She went to rejoin her father, but first inhaled and exhaled to calm her nerves. The first intake of air removed the mask of darkness favoured for her stepmother, and the release of it transformed her features to the innocence her father loved and cherished.

"Welcome back." Edward greeted, his eyebrows wiggling playfully when his daughter sauntered into the living room.

"Apologies for the wait, father. Now where were we?" She asked, plopping onto the living room chair, grinning childishly.

There are times on bright sunny weekends he would take her horseback riding, but when the weather was wet and constantly raining like that day, he liked to paint. It was one of his favourite hobbies.

Rebecca enjoyed painting with him, although she was not artistic. Today, she had begged him to help her paint something that would annoy her stepmother greatly. Though he did not know this was her plan he readily agreed, because he missed spending time with his daughter. He handed her a paint brush

"So, my little painter, I want you to outline the skirt of that one standing by the couch."

"Alright." She said, taking the brush and getting to work.