Chapter 17

It was another day of rain. It fell in icy sheets making it quite impossible to see outside. Rebecca hurried to the kitchen, for her stomach rumbled like the thunder rolling in the skies. Just as she skated around the corner to the kitchen, she saw her father and the yard boy conversing near the entrance to the kitchen. She quickly hid in a corner and waited for them to leave.

"Idiot!" She whispered to herself. Instead of 'burying the hatchet' with her father, she preferred to hide behind physical and emotional walls, like a frightened child. She exhaled slowly, allowing the love within her to erase the lines that were drawn in already fading ink. Rebecca tiptoed from behind the wall just as her father and the young man started walking in the opposite direction.

"Father!" She cried out. Edward swivelled at the sound of his daughter's voice. There was a moment of silence and scrutiny, then he pivoted towards the yard boy who had wide set green eyes, sand-coloured hair, and finely structured features.

Edward patted his shoulder and assured him they would chat later. He then walked towards his daughter at a steady pace. He stopped a few inches in front of her, and they both stared at each other expressionless.

"Good morning Becca." He said softly.

"Good morning father." She answered stiffly, then her shoulders slumped. "Look father..." She bit her lower lip in an effort to find the right words. "I'm sorry for my behaviour last night and..." Rebecca raised a single palm when he tried to speak. "Please forgive me."

He sighed.

"Why are you acting like this, Becca?"

"All you need to know right now is that I love you. Please trust me like you said you did last night." So, she had been listening, he thought. Love and a hundred questions shone in his eyes. He breathed in deeply, and shook his head.

"That's right, I did say that last night." He held onto both of her shoulders tightly, but not in a way to hurt her. "Don't let me down, Becca." She threw her arms around his neck affectionately and kissed him on the cheek.

"I won't father." Rebecca whispered adamantly in his ear. "I won't." Her nostrils filled with the scent of his aftershave and cologne, an aroma of manly sweetness that wafted down the corridors, brightening the atmosphere, and the cheeks of the maids. She stepped away.

"Now, if you'll excuse me, I happen to be very hungry. Hopefully, Mrs. Howard has already prepared something for me to consume." Grinning mischievously and thankful that she had the courage to talk to him, Rebecca skipped her way into the kitchen. Edward smiled lopsidedly, and went to find the yard boy.

Rebecca inhaled deeply when she stepped into the warm and friendly kitchen. It smelled of homemade bread and other delicious delicacies. The servants called out 'Good morning' as they quietly bustled to do their various chores. Rebecca cheerily answered and sat at the counter.

"Good Morning Rebecca." Mrs. Howard said brightly as she opened a cupboard to extract the cereal box.

"Definitely not this morning Mrs. Howard. I need something heavier than cereal. I'm famished!"

"Oh really? That wouldn't be because someone left the majority of their dessert on the table last night, would it?" She asked as she watched Rebecca slyly. Taking on an air of innocence, Rebecca diverted her gaze to the window, where she tracked a raindrop snaking its way down the rain spattered glass.

"I hope you are not insinuating I did that on purpose? You know I love the meals, especially the desserts the other cooks and you prepare. It just so happens your lovely soup was very fulfilling, absorbing even the space reserved for your wonderful dessert."

"Well, I hope you're hungry enough to eat this." She placed a hamburger and a glass of orange juice before Rebecca. It was a rare treat, for Elizabeth would not accept such foods in the house. The young lady's eyes widened with awe.

"Is this real? Oh, thank you Mrs. Howard! I'm so starved, I can eat an elephant!" Mrs. Howard laughed, her eyes twinkling merrily. Rebecca stretched across the counter and kissed the elderly woman, also giving her a warm hug.

"Thank you for everything you have done and do for me Mrs. Howard. You're the closest person to a mother I've had since my own mother passed away."

"Oh child." Mrs. Howard responded, racked by emotions, which she displayed by embracing the younger girl fiercely. "You don't ever have to thank me, but you're most welcome. Now eat up and get out of my kitchen. It's crowded enough without your presence here."

"Yes ma'am." Mrs. Howard grinned, wiping a stray tear from one eye and went about her duties. Rebecca sat down, and finally decided to her stomach's delight, to perish her breakfast.

She burped, satisfied, full and content. Rebecca walked at a leisurely pace down the hall, humming to herself quietly. Through half closed eyes, she saw Elizabeth coming down the stairs and she quickly dashed behind a flower plant. Rebecca watched as the other woman walked in the opposite direction when she arrived on the landing.

Sneering, Rebecca revolved and returned to the kitchen, as her stepmother made her way to the parlour.